Search the forum,

Discuss My Website - Your Feedback Please in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

O

Olz

Hi Peeps,

I'm looking for some feedback on my website,

I've finished the final draft and uploaded so you can have a look and let me know what you think.

www.sst-tiling.co.uk

The pictures are actually of my tiling in my own house, just put on their to give an idea of how the gallery will look and so theirs not just a blank page, Dont have any other pics at the moment, going to go get some of the brothers bathroom i did recently.

Bathroom was done ages ago, kitchen 4 months ago, laminate was about 6 months ago.

Kitchen was really pleasing, bathroom i was happy with but have done much better since and lamite was easy although looks a bit rough with no skirting boards on, will retake the picture when i move house when the furtinures out the way.

Any feedback much appreciated, still in the very early stages of starting up.

Cheers as always

Oli

Edit: Will be changing 'Quotes' to 'Estimates' shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BuyBrandTools

Hi Oli

On my work screen, you have to scroll across to the right to read all of the text.

The banners at the top and bottom fit fine, so I suggest that you resize the the main content area of the site to match the widths of the banners.

Dan is the man for tiling websites, but there are loads of threads on here about them.

The main things is to get it well optimised for the areas that you cover.

Have a look at http://www.thewrighttiler.co.uk/ for ideas

Neil

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Oli,

I had to look at your contact pagt to find the area you're based in.

You want your website to be the first one in search engines when people search for "Tiler in Wakefield" and the likes.

So on your homepage you want to change the Title to "Professional Wall and Floor Tiling Services in Wakefield" or similar.

Then you need to say it in your homepage a couple of times too.

You want to get a few links from other tilers websites that are out of your area and you want the link text to say "tiler in wakefield".

I'd also get a few more images on there and the Alt tags for the images need to say stuff like "Tiling Job in Wakefield" / "Tiling a Customers Bathroom in Wakefield" and so on.

Lots of content (text not images with text in them) and lots of images with the alt tags used well will help you a bunch.

Check this bad boy out I found for you: http://www.jojocms.org/blog/basic-seo-video/
----
And this lot : http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ba...avclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB271GB271

Last edited:
O

Olz

Thanks Guys for the tips,

Dan - Going to have to get reading up on those sites, did the site in frontpage, using wat little knowledge i could remember from A level IT i studied over 8 years ago, things have obviously moved on bucketloads.

Did you have the same problem with having to scroll across to read text, not sure why this is, but my laptop is widescreen, maybe it shows it ok on mine but not on non widescreens, any tips on fixing this?

Neil - Cheers for that aswell, I had looked at that website before but not noticed until now how many times it actually says 'tiler in fife' within the pages. This i take it is what bumps up the search page listings?

Cheers

Oli
----
The video is really helpfull thanks.

Does the text eg. "Professional Wall and Floor Tiling Services in Wakefield" have to be visible or could it be added in the same colour as the background in places so its on there more but not visible when viewing the pages.

B

BuyBrandTools

Oli do not write text the same colour as the background. This is a technique that was exploited many years ago for seo purpose and will get your site penalised by google.

The best thing to do is read up on basic seo via sites in google and seo forums. There are many basic guides that are easy to understand.

Using keywords in content such as "tiler in fife" will help with rankings but dont over do it, remember its needs to be readable by humans as well as search bots.

You need to make sure that your site is designed in 1024 x768 resolution as it is the most widely used

O

Olz

They alternate between tiling castleford / wakefield / normaton mate, at least they should, trying to bump the search engine hits up a bit by getting the key words in.

The pictures in the banner at the top of the page aren't work i've done (i wish!), there just for the banner to make the page look a bit less blank. I thought i had carefully selected them from an australian sample catalogue, i woried that if i used any from english sites they'd be someones work from here. Obviously one slipped through the net, unless the auzzy site nicked them from you in the first place lol. Very nice work though mate.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Did anyone have to scroll left to right or did the page fit on your screens.

Oli

O

Olz

looks good mate. do you work on your own or with someone else. im based in kippax so not too far from you. good luck with it mate

Will be on my own mate, In the process of setting up at the moment mate, off on holiday early hours friday for a couple of week, back then moving house, so having to get bits and bobs that i need in and amongst at the moment, finding this forum has been an absolute godsend though, had nothing but top help and advice so far, thanks everyone.

Got stuff like stationary sorted, getting tools sorted when i get back from hols between moving house, then after that going to do some gratis work for friends and fanmily before i let my self loose on the public.

Where do you get your materials from in leeds mate if you dont mind me asking, going to CDT when i get back to get some kit, there doing some offers on rubi stuff in june.

Oli

O

Olz

Crikey!!! I`m happy when i manage to post a thread on here!!!!:lol:

Turkish

Trust me mate, it's basic in terms of a web site, certainley not all singing and dancing, things seems to have moved on loads in the last 8 years since i left college!!!! lol.

It's ceratinley at the limits of my web ability, but i think it serves it's purpose and all it cost was a fiver to register the domain name, the missus is happy as it's her initialls (SST) so she feels like she's had a hand in it, although will no doubt wash her hands of it if god forbid it goes **** up.

O

Olz

Looks good!

Somthing I like to see is people. Well photos of people. Makes a site seem real.

Just my opinion. I have a friend who owns a website called digiscans and she doesnt like using pics of people.

Have you seen my photo mate, it's in my avatar, the whole point of the website is to get customers, not scare them away. :lol:

On a more serious note i'm going to get loads of photo's of my work from here on in, OK it with the customers and then get them in the gallery on here and my site.

I also plan to make a hard copy portfolio that i can show people when doing quotes, would this be ok, or do you think it would come across as a bit of a hard sell?

O

Olz

Did you buy any chance design it in firefox?

Just asking because it displays fine in firefox but the content in aligned to the right in internet explorer.

Neil

Did it in microsoft front page mate,

I think the problem with the alignment in IE is because i couldn't delete the left hand banner which you cant see on the site because the links are across the top,

This means everything is pushed over to the right a bit.

Still fine tuning it and hopefully i'll figure it out soon.

Thanks for the feedback

W

wetdec

They alternate between tiling castleford / wakefield / normaton mate, at least they should, trying to bump the search engine hits up a bit by getting the key words in.

The pictures in the banner at the top of the page aren't work i've done (i wish!), there just for the banner to make the page look a bit less blank. I thought i had carefully selected them from an australian sample catalogue, i woried that if i used any from english sites they'd be someones work from here. Obviously one slipped through the net, unless the auzzy site nicked them from you in the first place lol. Very nice work though mate.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Did anyone have to scroll left to right or did the page fit on your screens.

Oli

Hey Oli the image is fine m8 no worries there a few of mine out there doesnt bother me one bit it looks cool

tiler

Reply to My Website - Your Feedback Please in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays