Search the forum,

Discuss Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
There seems to be a few people on here talking about unrealistic wages and things are quiet, it can only be yourself at fault, dont want to come accross as arrogant and put anyone down, but when your self employed YOU have to find the money, nobody said it was easy, most people think it will just come to them by dishing out a few cards. I get a lot of people through the doors who have never been self employed before and are used to a regular wage comming in, if you are employed all you have to do is turn up at work, do your job, go home and get paid at the end of the month.
The people who make it work very well in self employment are the people who have the commitment, passion and the desire to succeed and dont let anything get in the way of reaching that goal, A new business takes time, nobody is saying you are going to make 40 grand in the first year, but work at it and build your contacts up and you will achieve them wages later on.
The tiling skills is only a part of a self employed tiler which most people forget, you have to get the business first and thats where the first problem is, This is the process you need to be focusing on

1 MARKETING (This is all your advertising and building up contacts that will result in an enquiree)

2 SALES ( this is what people neglect, you have to convince the customer that you are the best person for the job, do this by selling yourself)

3 PERSONALITY ( You have to have one, No personality and you will go nowhere, you wont build up the contacts and you wont win the customer over, this can be linked to the sale pitch by reading the customers or contacts personality and trying to mirror theirs, you are more likely to get someone to buy from you if you are the same kind of person as they are)
Remember you are selling your tiling services

4 DOING THE JOB ( This only comes about when you have got the first 3 correct)

Other tradesmen is definatly the way to go and find as many as you can who will pass work your way.

Best of luck to you all and strive to be the best and the money will follow.

Regards
Darren

E

enduro

Well said, a lot of new tilers think its a way out, to get lots of money without to much work, it takes around three years to get a business up and running with repeat work, you have to be the right sort of person, a working week is seven days if needed, 7am start until its finished. if that's not you go stacking shelves in a supermarket, but the rewards are there if your hungry enough.

I

IvegotsTILE

Darren is spot on I've found that after putting myself about and starting to get the work in its my personality that gets me all my work.
Plenty of my customers bug the hell out of me(specially the ones with plenty of dosh)but I chat to them find out about there interests,family etc. until I find a common ground then I make sure that we get on like a house on fire,sod making me a cup of tea my customers make me bacon butties for my dinner and are happy for me to change the days I can start.
I make sure their very comfortable with me,every single one has let me work at their house unsupervised after probabaly being there for the first day.That makes them pass on my details to all their friends and family plus most have already called me back to do more tiling for them,don't get me wrong I also go out of my way for them,the kitchen splashback I was at on Friday I had to stop work to take the mother to pick up her kids from school because of the rain(now thats a favour)but it was all worth it cause she called today to get me to come round next week to tile her bathroom.
Promote yourself, get on with your customers like a house on fire and work your balls off(worked the last 10 days straight,plenty of 12 hour days) this is how you'll make your money and not be short of work.
Cheers Darren:beer_yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

scrubmuncher

I agree, personality is probably 'more' important than skills at the moment. It is hard to be confident at first when your a little shakey maybe constant self scrutiny, but once you can produce the banter to go with your 'over' confidence when looking at a job, you've won. I think the reason the banter is more important is because thiers no getting away from the fact that every bloke and his dog is giving it a go these days, we are over run with new tilers and if you dont have the banter to go with the skill your not gunna get any work.
I'm a quite quiet person in reality, but from 8 till 6 I pull on my trainers and turn into a different guy. I spent ages without work, going into showrooms all quiet and reserved, not really speaking to other tradesmen. Then I found this other person in myself handing my cards out to tradesmen at every chance I get, talking to every tradesman I meet, anywhere. Approaching showrooms with the attitude that I'm gunna do them a favour, not the other way around. Has worked for me. If your a quiet person you really need to find your other self to get noticed, beable to turn it on when needed.

J

jabba

I find that lots of the "old timers" are not appreciating the fact that some of the "newbies" seem to be getting lots of work while they sit moaning in the pub at 1.30 after doing half a shift and deciding to let another potential customer down while they enjoy a few more beers......... times are chjanging, tradesmen now have to be on time every time, true to the customer and RELIABLE. It doesnt matter how good a tiler is, if he/she turns up stinking of ale with a "couldnt give a hoot" attitude then im affraid they will find themselves sitting in the pub a whole lot more.:clock:

Jabba

M

McP77

I find that lots of the "old timers" are not appreciating the fact that some of the "newbies" seem to be getting lots of work while they sit moaning in the pub at 1.30 after doing half a shift and deciding to let another potential customer down while they enjoy a few more beers......... times are chjanging, tradesmen now have to be on time every time, true to the customer and RELIABLE. It doesnt matter how good a tiler is, if he/she turns up stinking of ale with a "couldnt give a hoot" attitude then im affraid they will find themselves sitting in the pub a whole lot more.:clock:

Jabba

Couldn't agree more. It still amazes me when people thank me for turning up on time and doing as I said I would. As far as I'm concerned that is the least they deserve and I would expect to be b%&*$ed for not turning up rather than thanked for just being on time.

G

GatesheadCol

This is a great thread for us newbies.

All comments here are spot on, my time at the minute is mainly marketing. I go into the tile shops even when I dint need anything, chat to the guys and gals behind the counter. Now they know me they aklways have a chat and a bit banter. Get to know them, they will not give your cards out straight away but start taking your customers to their shops.

Everytime your out socially and you meet someone who is a tradesman give them somne cards, with a scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. One of my drinking mates builds conservatories (guess who his tiler is), thats what we need to do.

On the personality side - you have to have one. Ive been out on 4 quotes so far and got every one in the bag, 3 done already, the 4th starting on monday. Ive had a sales background so it helps but thats what you have to do sell yourself.

My second job (couldnt believe it at first) left me alone in her flat allday, do your job, keep it clean and chat to them when you arrive. Spend 10 minutes doing that. She actually said yto me 'it makes such a difference having someone in that is so easy to get on with. She was fit too but had to control myself as her boyfriend has 3 other rooms for me to tile lol, which are now also in the bag. Happy days

An old northern saying - Shy bairns get Nowt

W

webby

I am new to the forum and the last thing I want to do is come across as arrogant.I have been tiling now for nearly 30 years and I have never advertised.It did take a little while to get established but certainly less than a year.Yes I did 7 day weeks and bank holidays to start with.I had to as we had 5 children to bring up.However I have five months to go before I retire (officially) and am now in a position to work just 2 or 3 days a week if I want and still earn a good living.Mortgage is paid so one thing less worry.Money has been secondary to me and it is far more important that the client is a hundred per cent happy with the work.It is also important that I am one hundred per cent happy with the work.Attention to detail is a must.Don't skimp on anything.Use the best materials for the situation whatever they cost.Don't haggle.You should have a price for your standard of work and you should stick to it.If I put a price in for a job and don't get it I will be working for someone else.Be pleasant with people.Most of my work is private/domestic and I only ever work on a day rate plus materials.Hope this is helpful.Remember lads (or lasses)you only get out of life what you put in.
----
Jabba~~~~ just noticed what you said about old timers.Well I'm 65 next bithday,I am up at 6.30 every morning and start work at 8.I hardly drink anyway.I don't have the breaks during the day that most people do( I usually stop long enough to have a bite to eat) and I pack up about 4.30.If I am going to be late for some reason or can't turn up I phone the customer and let them know.I don't know where this attitude to old timers has come from but the most problematic tradesmen in my area are usually younger.Being realistic I suppose there's good and bad in all walks of life but I did resent you targeting us older tradesmen.And I'll tell you now,I can keep up with most youngsters.As I said before,I admit that I don't actually have to work every day if I don't want to but I do more often than not.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DaveCSC

Good thread.
A lot of people do get roped into training courses on the belief that they will earn £50,000 per year. I recently contacted a company that were advertising plumbing courses through distance learning. The course cost approx £4,000, when I queried the cost he replied that doctors leave college with debts of £15,000 and they won’t earn £50,000 a year and why wouldn’t I book on the course and did I still want to be in a dead end job in 12 months – total hard sell. (Just to let you know I am from Construction Skills College in Stoke, I told this company though that I worked in a factory and was depressed with my job so that I could find out what they were all about).

Customer service is very important and it can be the little things that make a big difference, for example, if you went to price a job wearing jeans and a top or you went to price a job wearing work trousers and a top with your business name printed on the difference in the customer’s eyes is massive. Their first impression of your professionalism is key, and the cost of a couple of tops is very low.

And the basics – be on time, be friendly, be confident, be tidy – when you have finished a job a customer does not want to have to clean up after you. AND don’t forget to take photos of your work and build up a portfolio.

Did you know that organisations such as business initiatives and business link occasionally run courses on working for yourself covering areas such as marketing, book keeping, etc? These courses are free and in Stoke you can attend either during the day or evenings.

C

cornish_crofter

I have been self employed doing various handyman jobs for around 4 years now.

We also renovate and develop property so the customer focused business is part time.

That said, my only advert is with the local village newsletter.

I get most of my work via recommendations. I tend to keep my clients in the picture wrt progress and when I intend to be on site. I suppose I am quite chatty, which in some walks of life can be a disadvantage, but people like that in me (unless they are just being polite:grin:).

I did catch a small cold a while ago. I had so much repeat work from about 7 people that I neglected to grow my client base. Due to their personal curcumstances the work from a couple of major clients dried up and I was left with about a weeks worth of work.

Then other work appeard out of nowhere!

I know that I may not be the best that there is, but I do a reasonable job and people like having me in their house. I think that's what counts.

The other thing is honesty. One client who I was recommended to wants me to install a wet room. I have told him quite honestly that I have never installed a wet room before so we are researching it together.

W

White Room

I have been self employed doing various handyman jobs for around 4 years now.

We also renovate and develop property so the customer focused business is part time.

That said, my only advert is with the local village newsletter.

I get most of my work via recommendations. I tend to keep my clients in the picture wrt progress and when I intend to be on site. I suppose I am quite chatty, which in some walks of life can be a disadvantage, but people like that in me (unless they are just being polite:grin:).

I did catch a small cold a while ago. I had so much repeat work from about 7 people that I neglected to grow my client base. Due to their personal curcumstances the work from a couple of major clients dried up and I was left with about a weeks worth of work.

Then other work appeard out of nowhere!

I know that I may not be the best that there is, but I do a reasonable job and people like having me in their house. I think that's what counts.

The other thing is honesty. One client who I was recommended to wants me to install a wet room. I have told him quite honestly that I have never installed a wet room before so we are researching it together.

Give Tony at wetdecs a call he knows his wet rooms:thumbsup:

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
There is a key to success 2 on here as well somewhere, mayber dave can put it next to the first one, just gives you that bit extra push when reading it

Its not something you start off doing, it should just be a way of life, second nature to do it, thats when you will notice the difference in the earnings and bookings
Glad your doing well and the course worked for you
Regards
Darren

Last edited:
J

Jimmy

This is my first post but, I thought I could add a little to this having been a self employed plumber for years and coming into tiling to expand my work horizons. I like to think I got jobs out of quotes through being truefull, genuine and honest. I always try to come across as if nothing is too much trouble and tell the customer the things they want to hear without leading them on . The big thing is to apear confident even if you are not, there is a lot you can work out/research behind closed doors away from customers.

D

Donnie

HI Darren, having been a self employed person for 20 years i know all the draw backs with making a success. However I am considering changing my career and becoming a tiler. I have tiled for quite a few people for no charge Mostly family, but i want to ask one question. In this current climate of uncertainty, do you think there is work for new tilers just starting out? In a dilema to give up what I am doing and start a new career after my divorce. Would love to hear your opinion. My area of work will be Northern Ireland.

Reply to Key To Success In Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use for feedback. We have been established in Newport, South Wales (just across the bridge from Bristol)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.