Search the forum,

Discuss tuscan leveling system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

garretridge

Its been out a while and discussed on here a few times. I feel it would lead to cavities under teh tiles myself.

sorry missed it havent been on in a while been to busy! i agree pulling tiles up to meet one another is not the best idea hard to get a solid bed would leave voids underneath another expensive gadget that dosent work!:thumbsup:

O

oogabooga

Some guys on another tile forum (John Bridge) rave about the TLS and some or the pics they've posted are very,very impressive - for instance a totally mirror finish granite floor. I can't say I've seen that before, there's normally a break or two in the reflection somewhere.

No doubt a learning curve required, so perhaps don't knock it until you've tried it? The inventor was supposed to send me a free sample a couple of years ago - I'm still waiting :lol:

R

Rob Z

Some guys on another tile forum (John Bridge) rave about the TLS and some or the pics they've posted are very,very impressive - for instance a totally mirror finish granite floor. I can't say I've seen that before, there's normally a break or two in the reflection somewhere.

No doubt a learning curve required, so perhaps don't knock it until you've tried it? The inventor was supposed to send me a free sample a couple of years ago - I'm still waiting :lol:

Rob, that guy is flaky as hell...I waited weeks to get the material and the gun, and held a job off to wait for everything. I never got any of it, and I was wanting to pay for everything. A lot of other guys had their time wasted, as well.

Way back when, I asked them repeatedly to put all the concerns to rest and install a test floor, let it cure, and then demo it to see about the coverage. Mick told me "Oh great idea", but that is as far as it ever went as far as I know.

When I think of the subtle differences in the amount of thinset that goes down on the floor, and how much is flat troweled on the back of a tile, and how slight variations make all the difference between no coverage and full coverage, I just don';t see how this can not be an issue with the use of the TLS.

I do notice now that they are pretty up-front about saying that the substrate needs to be very good before using this product. They never used to say that, and I think that they have had to adjust the sales pitch to reality.

R

Rob Z

Dave another thing that has been stated as an "official" instruction for using the TLS...is the thinset needs to be mixed looser than the normal spec. I don't know how this is from the standpoint of weakening the mortar with too much liquid or water. As far as I know, this has not been investigated, either. SOme of the guys that have used the TLS told me that they had to really water down the thinset to get the straps and gun to work. I would certainly have to see it in person before shelling out the dough and buying all of the straps and the gun.

O

oogabooga

Rob, that guy is flaky as hell...I waited weeks to get the material and the gun, and held a job off to wait for everything. I never got any of it, and I was wanting to pay for everything. A lot of other guys had their time wasted, as well.

Yeah, had to laugh when I saw all the comments at the time with him not following through. Sure he's not part Polynesian?, because that's a common trait (I'm one of the few of my kind not afflicted :smilewinkgrin:)

Don't suppose I'm going to be using the system anyway, as it's pretty expensive. Customers wince enough when I give them my price, let alone allowing for TLS :lol:

R

Rob Z

Yeah, had to laugh when I saw all the comments at the time with him not following through. Sure he's not part Polynesian?, because that's a common trait (I'm one of the few of my kind not afflicted :smilewinkgrin:)

Don't suppose I'm going to be using the system anyway, as it's pretty expensive. Customers wince enough when I give them my price, let alone allowing for TLS :lol:

Rob, I was born in Hawaii...does that mean that I am polynesian, too? :D

T

tenapen

Its down side is the floor as to be quite flat ( +- 5mm over 2 metre's) so when you lay the tile in soft adhesive it gets a good coverage to start with also you cannot use rapid set adhesive. I would say its useful when laying heavy granite etc or porcelain 600x600 tiles. How many times do you lay the tiles only to find that the weight of the tiles as sunk into the adhesive creating a lipper !. This type of thing supports the tiles from underneath and therefore stops a tile sinking. Not for every job but a handy tool to have IMO.

T

tenapen

I notice from the latest RUBI news letter a picture of their version of this fixing system. It looks like a copy to me and wonder if all of the above doubter's will now like it because it say RUBI ?. I have not used it yet as i have not used the TLS latley due to lack of work, but i like the transparent cap, a big improvement and if given to use i will give my thoughts here.
My hope is that RUBI have timed the market wronge as people go back to wanting smaller tiles and mosiacs. Ho the joys of using 150x150 whites.

Regards.

R

Rob Z

One question I have: If when you break the straps after installation, the strap doesn't break below the surface of the tile. What can you do? I know you could cut it level, but surely that will screw with your grouting

Hi Matt, I know it has been a long time since your post, but here is an answer to your question.

The TLS straps are designed to break at the point where the plastic strip joins the base (which is under the tile). In other words, unless the strao is defective, when it breaks it will occur down on the level of the setting bed.

One thing I had to get used to with the TLS gun is to be sure not to over-tighten the cap, because in doing so it breaks the strap off and it can be quite challenging to get another strap in place.:mad2:

Reply to tuscan leveling system in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The homeowner of the property I'm working on has just come to me and asked if anything can be done about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.