Search the forum,

Discuss Triple boarded, old adhesive, heavy tiles! in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a whole estate only home town with this construction for all of the bathroom walls, for light ceramics I have removed outer skin of on dot and dabbed a replacement on and tiled, for heavy stuff I always insist of building a framework of timber and fixing backer board to that or I won't take the job on. Don't think k I could trust those walls for that kind of weight myself and have never been able to get a firm conformation of weight limits for these wall from anyone, but that's from my professional side and not wanting to risk it or the reprocussions if it went wrong.

1animal1

Thanks chaps, I don't see much of an issue with the overall weight, from what I've seen so far having dug a few holes for sockets... The walls seem extremely sturdy when compared to previous houses I've had with stud work (older stud work, so thinner battens) and compacted straw compressed between 12.5mm board! Less vibration when hammering etc. I can see why you'd want to ensure they are 100% though Ttt considering its a job your being paid for and your professional reputation.

They are largely sound so I'm going to crack on with this removal of the adhesive, to try and steer away from a coat of multi finish. Then use this mapei for the corner to build out the 10mm. The longest wall is no more than 4sqm of porcelain before it gets an edging piece and then ceramics.

Should I bother with primer G on the backing paper of the plaster when I get to it?

1animal1

update: I have managed to get most of the adhesive removed painstakingly with a 1.5" scraper. Ended up cutting out an area and replaced with new D&B 12.5mm board (I already had this), this also solved my corner crisis, the rest is extremely sound - dips have all been filled with Mapei concrete based adhesive. Next job is to seal it all with Primer G which I've bought in readiness.

Floor next before starting to tile the walls.....

Reply to Triple boarded, old adhesive, heavy tiles! in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen