Currently reading:
Can I put UFH heating over resin shower tray & plywood?

Search the forum,

Discuss Can I put UFH heating over resin shower tray & plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bucks.

Hi Guys (1st time post)

I am about to embark on a wet room project on our house,
The room is 1.8m x 1.6m, we are planning on using some sort of resin shower tray possibly 1200mm x 1200mm Marmox showerstone or Tuff 2, building up the surrounding floor with plywood to get the floor flush with the tray.
So my question is can we put UFH over the shower tray & the plywood, we are not using insulation boards or a foam shower tray due to possible point load issues with 2" mosaics,
The floor is floorboards on joists, so I plan to insulate between the joists with kingspan.

Any help & advice would be much appreciated.

B

Bucks.

Thanks again for the replies,
Mouldy the Impey system is not going to be suitable for us, as you cant trim much of the trays (we have a corner to cut out 6"x4") the tuff2 says it can be trimmed & cut, not sure on the Marmox showerstone.
I'm not looking for an easy anyone can do diy kit, I am wanting the best possible job that will last pretty much forever, which I am more than capable of doing, once I iron out all the ins & outs if you get my gist.

T

tfs

Do Devimat actualy say that the 150 should not be used with ply?

Different manuafacturer have different specs for for there products. I know that climatech sold at TG sell a 150w mat and also a 250w mat. They dont say that the either shoud't be used on timber substrates.

Generally the higher wattage is to be used for floors with less insulation and areas which could include conservatories example.

Also timber does offer insulation to an extent (thicker the better)

This is also why I cant stress enough that advice should be taken from manufacturers when unsure as products are made/ designed with different materials and with different capabilities so what works with one product may not work with a similar product manufactured somewhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alberta Stone

Thanks again for the replies,

I'm not looking for an easy anyone can do diy kit, I am wanting the best possible job that will last pretty much forever, which I am more than capable of doing, once I iron out all the ins & outs if you get my gist.

If you are willing to go that far then just glass the whole floor area with fiberglass resin and cloth, go up the wall about 6 inchs and then after all the pinholes are sealed up you will have the bentley of waterproof floors and far cheaper than a precast pan and it will be monolithic (no seams) so you can be pretty confident that it will never leak.
Then you can put whatever you wish onto it.
Just build up the plywood heights first.
Recess the glass you cove up the wall so that you don't end up with a bulge where the wall material would ride over the cove.

B

Bucks.

If you are willing to go that far then just glass the whole floor area with fiberglass resin and cloth, go up the wall about 6 inchs and then after all the pinholes are sealed up you will have the bentley of waterproof floors and far cheaper than a precast pan and it will be monolithic (no seams) so you can be pretty confident that it will never leak.
Then you can put whatever you wish onto it.
Just build up the plywood heights first.
Recess the glass you cove up the wall so that you don't end up with a bulge where the wall material would ride over the cove.

Well maybe thats a bit to much for me :grin:

A

Alberta Stone

Well maybe thats a bit to much for me :grin:

LOL....probably cheaper however.....fiberglass is really not that hard to work with.

A possible issue you will encounter is the fact that all the liquid waterproofing materials I am familiar with do not adhere well to plastic. They dry and then can be pulled off with relative ease.
So, unless you can find a different waterproofing that will adhere to plastic, or maybe scarify the surface so that it will key itself onto the surface........

B

Bucks.

Do Devimat actualy say that the 150 should not be used with ply?
Been looking into it a bit more (Things are a lot clearer now) :hurray:
Devimat state
The devimat 100 Series is ideally suited to timber based floors.
The devimat 150 Series is ideally suited to heating tiled concrete floors.

Warmup state
When fitting the underfloor heater onto a timber subfloor, the floorboards or chipboard must be over-boarded with a suitable Warmup® Insulation Board or 18 mm WBP plywood. Existing floorboards must be fixed securely and, if necessary, pre-levelled with a latex/cement smoothing underlayment to give a flush fit for the WBP plywood or the Warmup® Insulation Board. Ply must be screwed at 200mm centres and installed as per BS 5385: Part 3 Clause 14.4.
Warmup® Insulation Board must be fixed with flexible tile adhesive. For best performance the board should also be secured with five screws and penny washers per board.
Warning: Fixing ply directly to the joists may not provide a sufficiently stable floor finish to accept tiles; fitting tongue and groove flooring and then over-boarding with ply or Warmup® Insulation Board is recommended.

Enermat State
The Enermat is primarily designed for installation on concrete floors. If layingEnermat on a wooden floor, all floors must be sheeted with Wedi board, Knauf Aquapanel or similar cement covered board which is compatible with heated floor systems or sheet the floor with 15mm WBP or Marine plywood, fix with screws at 200mm centres and then skim with 2-3mm of flexible tile adhesive and allow to dry, then proceed as installation for concrete base.

My Conclusioin
Pressure treated floor joists with Kingspan insulation between joists, area around shower tray T&G floorboards overboarded with 18mm WBP plywood, shower tray installed flush with plywood floor, walls boardered with Marmox 12.5mm tile backer boards, Tank Plywood floor inc showertray (I may also tank the walls in the main shower area, even though they should be waterproof if installed correctly) Then eventually 150w UFH (not 100% decided on what make yet)

Now for what to tank the floor with, I think I should maybe start another thread for this one.

THANKS for all your help & advise Guys its much appreciated

Reply to Can I put UFH heating over resin shower tray & plywood? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.