Currently reading:
Anyone seen this happen? glass mosaics losing the backing after tiling

Discuss Anyone seen this happen? glass mosaics losing the backing after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

GoneGuy

hi all,
I've got a glass and metal mosaic border, it's fitted with white powder adhesive ( palace ) and white grout ( palace ).
I fitted it about 6 weeks ago, and it's been noticed that the glass mosaic backing is dissolving, no bleach has been used to clean them and the manufacturer has said out of the 40,000 they have sold this is the first case.
The manufacturer is replacing them, but I am curious if any of you guys have seen this before?

IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0100.JPG

S

Spud

I have had the same thing happen using trend glass borders we used palace adhesive powdered adhesive and it attacked the paint on the back of the glass we were told we should have used Bal mosaic fix powdered adhesive we had to rip it all out and redo it , the supplier footed the cost of the tiles we just redid it with the correct adhesive and it was fine after that

G

GoneGuy

Just a quick update.
Palace adhesive Rep was in the tile shop and the answer they gave was.
"The white palace adhesive is ok to use on mosaics but they cannot garantee it working as mosaics are made abroad and they do not know what materials are used to bond the back of them, and also it depends what is on the wall aready, we suggest using palace tub adhesive as it has no acid in it that could react with the mosaics".

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just a quick update.
Palace adhesive Rep was in the tile shop and the answer they gave was.
"The white palace adhesive is ok to use on mosaics but they cannot garantee it working as mosaics are made abroad and they do not know what materials are used to bond the back of them, and also it depends what is on the wall aready, we suggest using palace tub adhesive as it has no acid in it that could react with the mosaics".
Thanks for the update. What's happening to these tiles then now?

Reply to Anyone seen this happen? glass mosaics losing the backing after tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement