• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Your top 5 “do's and dont's “ in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
O

Old Mod

Do's
1. Listen carefully to the requirements of any potential client, and let them finish what they have to say before making any comments.
2. Take both notes and photos of potential job.
3. Measure up accurately.
4. Carry out any work to the best of my ability.
5. Treat them and their home with respect.

Dont's
1. Enter their home for the first time with dirty footwear.
2. Glaze over when they ask for metros, you might miss something important or an opportunity to change their mind. :)
3. Snigger when they ask for the impossible.
4. Slag off their builder before finding out if it's their life long friend or a member of their family. :eek:
5. Compromise on your standard of work or working practises to save them a few quid, it'll probably cost you more than a couple of quid if it goes wrong!!

OP
L

LJD

1. Be honest to yourself
2.be honest to the client
3. be double honest to yourself. If you feel funny , walk way .
4. Ask questions , never think you know it all
5. never take cash and keep a paper trail .

OP
W

WetSaw

Number 5 is a bit odd. What is the problem with cash? By paper trail I'm assuming a contract that states the specification and scope of the job plus your payment terms?

OP
L

LJD

Cash ...kid of put a "Cowboy" tone to business . I think some people think its all going to be moody when traders ask for cash etc ? Sure, get called out for a simple sat morning one hour job.Take cash .But once it involves water or electricity .I want it all kosher .Also payment into the bank means it done. That £500 cash soon turns into £320 by the time you get to a bank.

peteablard

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Cash ...kid of put a "Cowboy" tone to business . I think some people think its all going to be moody when traders ask for cash etc ? Sure, get called out for a simple sat morning one hour job.Take cash .But once it involves water or electricity .I want it all kosher .Also payment into the bank means it done. That £500 cash soon turns into £320 by the time you get to a bank.
I never ask for cash but will happily take it if offered!

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

1. You provide an estimate with your terms and conditions stating payment details.
2.You want a deposit for any materials in cash or paid into your business account on order.
3. You give them an invoice the day before you finish stating you want payment in cash or into your business account on day of completion.
4.You don't leave until you've been paid.
5. You thank them very much for their business, hope they will recommend you, sign their copy of your Invoice and check your bank account to confirm money has been transferred.

It's simple - it's a professional approach Jobs done and been paid - on to the next one.

OP
O

One Day

1) give a very approximate quote verbally, low enough to make sure you win the job.
2) turn up to work now and again, different times and different days, keep 'em guessing!
3) be sure to make as much mess as possible and never clean up.
4) ask for part payment before the job ends, coz you forgot about all the gear you'd need for the job.
5) make sure final bill is around 50% more than your verbal quote, then take 20% less for pound notes and hit the pubs! Profit!

OP
M

mark1324

1) give a very approximate quote verbally, low enough to make sure you win the job.
2) turn up to work now and again, different times and different days, keep 'em guessing!
3) be sure to make as much mess as possible and never clean up.
4) ask for part payment before the job ends, coz you forgot about all the gear you'd need for the job.
5) make sure final bill is around 50% more than your verbal quote, then take 20% less for pound notes and hit the pubs! Profit!

We must of learnt of the same person

Reaction score
Do s
Drink tea
Drink coffee
Eat bacon rolls
Take cash
Listen to pop master @ 10.30

Don't' s
Take any ****anymore ! Too old !!
Start at 9 !ifits that important open the door I start at 7 !!
Take cheques as there's no banks open locally due. To cutbacks Internet banking is good !
Mind helping out where I can IE use my Topps card save urself a few quid
Like the **** taken !!!!! I'm not Bob Geldof !!!!

Reply to Your top 5 “do's and dont's “ in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer