Discuss Your never to old to learn in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ha Ha come back 6 inch whites, my fingers used to bleed at the speed we chucked them up lol. Now a days we can take our time and still earn a living

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ha Ha come back 6 inch whites, my fingers used to bleed at the speed we chucked them up lol. Now a days we can take our time and still earn a living
I don't know about taken my time Simon, i thought things were
ment to get easier as we got older. This week i have fixed 170 sq m
of 600 x 600's on a floor. 20 sq m of 200x200 on the walls 5 sq m 800x400
on floor, oh and i screeded 200sq m

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
Along time ago this was the spec from Bal any comments
Tiling onto wood is easier than you think

One question I’m always asked if whether you can tile onto timber floors. Well the simple answer is yes, provided they are capable of carrying the additional loads and are sufficiently rigid and stable.

If you don’t feel the that floor is strong enough, you can always fit extra noggins between the joists, or overboard with exterior grade or marine grade plywood (minimum 15mm thick), screwed down at 300mm centres ensuring screw heads are flush with the surface. Remember to seal the reserve side and edges with neat BAL Bond SBR before tiling as this reduces water permeability.

If the floor needs to be “made good”, i.e. levelled then it may be possible to use a levelling compound such BAL Level Max, which is suitable over timber at only 3mm, you must first prime the surface of the timber with two coats of neat BAL Prime APD, allow to dry between coats and best practice to apply 90° to the first coat

When tiling onto plywood overlaid timber then we recommend using a flexible adhesive such as BAL Rapidset Flexible Fibre or Max Flex Fibre for example for speed on the job or when fixing larger format ceramics/stone, BAL Stone & Tile PTB would be the ideal product

Sealing the back and sides not the front !!! How things have changed

Reply to Your never to old to learn in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks