Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

3. Underfloor Heating by uHeat

Discuss Wrong type of Self leveling compound and cracks / underfloor heating in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. johnw100

johnw100 Member of Tilers Forums

Hi

We had self leveling compound laid about a week ago by our builders in our shower room and through to our kitchen/diner, i`ve been cleaning today and i`ve noticed cracking and breaking at the edges near the patio doors. It was laid onto plywood boards (in the kitchen area) , concrete in the shower room. Underfloor heating cable was stuck down to the subfloor.
    I found an empty bag of the product and it was non-flexible , it says not to use with underfloor heating and wooden flooring!

We are going to have floating engineered wood flooring put down on top in the kitchen area.
    Any suggestions about this, I`m thinking theyre going to need to take it up and start over. Shower room has been tiled, and the underfloor heating runs from the dining area into it.
    Thanks in advance

2. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

That's your problem - plain and simple. Builders.

Seriously though, they will have used the cheapest possible rubbish, mixed too wet and not primed the sub-floor first.

It's what they do, builders. They should stick to bricks and mortar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. impish

impish Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Any pictures of the bag and the floor would help a proper diagnosis though...

4. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler

Seen it all before !! They may learn from this when you give them a 5K bill for putting right.

5. LEE MAC

LEE MAC Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

That's a complete failure. A flexible leveller must be used with ufh to cope with the contraction and exspansion that occurs when the temperature changes, normal leveller will eventually turn to dust. The same problem will occur over the timber floor also. The whole lot will need to be removed unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Classic builder trick really, one I have seen a few times too. Make sure they pay for some one who knows how to do the job to come and do it correctly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. johnw100

8. johnw100

Thanks for the replies
    They also used it in half of our now tiled shower room, the other half was a shower tray. I assume thats going to have to come up aswell?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. johnw100

The scenario is i can see the builders arguing that these cracks are normal and theyve done this before without any problems at other properties. I know builders.
    Should an option be to ask the underfloor heating to be turned on (gradually) and see if any problems arise. If they do , bring it all up.
    Otherwise if it seems ok leave it and try and get some guarantee from the builders that should it fail in the future they will fix it?

10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Active Member

show them the bag if they still dont want to listen get them to phone the manufacture up but all work stops until its sorted etc

11. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler

Just tell them to do it right the second time and you wont take them to the cleaners !