Discuss Would you consider working abroad for a short period? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Would you consider working abroad for a short period?

• Total voters
Q

Qwerty

As the title says really..... Would you consider working abroad for a short period of time? This is not a thread offering work!, just to see what others thoughts or experiences of it are.

I was contacted by a US firm asking if I would be available at short notice over the next month to travel to Florida (at own expense) to be involved in the rebuild & tiling of damaged apartments with the possibility of further work in the Caribbean later on.
At the moment I am in no position to be able to, but will certainly bear it in mind for the future.

OP
L

LM

I would never say never. I would prefer to stay at home, but you never know if work could dry up here or you could be made an offer that it made no sense to turn down.

OP
D

Dumbo

If the money was very good and only for a short time and of course I would need to be very happy about reassurances of getting paid . It can be hard enough getting money out of builders that live in the same country .

OP
O

Old Mod

Paul @gamma38 as most of us know worked in New York couple years ago. His experience was not straight forward. I'll let him explain.
Although he did post other day about it.

OP
F

Flintstone

If I was single, or had circumstances that allowed it then yes, great experience but I would want some reassurance that I was gonna get paid

OP
B

Bill

I worked in France last autumn for a few weeks doing a ski chalet up - great job, good money and great scenery.

OP
B

Bill

My dad went to Saudi twice in the 70's for over 6 months at a time. Longest I have been away was about 2 months at a time in Germany during the late 80's and early nineties.

OP
O

Old Mod

Been there, done that, few times.
Would have to be seriously financially beneficial to do it again, unless I could take my family.

OP
W

WetSaw

This terrace is all blown and is going to be stripped and retiled next year. The 3 bed house that sleeps 8 will be empty..
Just saying... 012e2b73-12bd-4401-ae74-302e05e0a03c.c10.jpg

The first person to tell me the name of the house wins!

John Benton

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
Worked abroad for 3 years in a previous life, circumstances were different then, and it was fantastic.

My brother-in-law works on live cables, replacing damaged poles etc, and has been asked to go out to Virgin Islands to work helping repair damaged electrics. He is actually due to retire at the end of this month so he says it's going to have to be a massive amount of money to make him go.

OP
H

hmtiling

I got offered 450m2 of limestone in the same house in st Tropez 4 years ago for an island builder who did very well for himself. My wife could have come over too and money was good. Didn't happen as wife was pregnant with our first.
Nowadays I'd do short periods of time away but has to be well worth my time.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
As the title says really..... Would you consider working abroad for a short period of time? This is not a thread offering work!, just to see what others thoughts or experiences of it are.

I was contacted by a US firm asking if I would be available at short notice over the next month to travel to Florida (at own expense) to be involved in the rebuild & tiling of damaged apartments with the possibility of further work in the Caribbean later on.
At the moment I am in no position to be able to, but will certainly bear it in mind for the future.
Used to be a golden rule years ago never ever travel anywhere overseas at your own expense, if any company contacts you offering work then request an open ticket. Any half decent company would sort all your travel arrangements for you, if they're not prepared to then beware.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to the tiler who started that job in the Cayman Islands a while back, he posted a few pics of himself laying the first tile then that was it never heard nothing. He did say he would provide regular updates.

OP
O

Old Mod

Anyone know what happened to the tiler who started that job in the Cayman Islands a while back, he posted a few pics of himself laying the first tile then that was it never heard nothing. He did say he would provide regular updates.
Yes Cameron is srill very much in the Cayman Islands, and making a good life for himself.
He's done exceptionally well tbh, someone that grabbed life by the horns and is reaping the benefits.
We speak on a fairly regular basis.

Reply to Would you consider working abroad for a short period? in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer