Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Would you bother with 2 mats? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Floor finally up and it's nearly filled a 4 yard skip!
20170809_161448.jpg

Base slab primed

20170809_155634.jpg
Got to hit it with a load of leveller! Slab is in good knick with no cracks but really rough in places and the whole floor slopes down from the bay area to the house by 25mm. 20mm thermal boards isn't an option now so will go for 10mm. Went round
after work to set datum dots and my Dad is going to do the rails in sand and cement tomorrow. 4 bays - perimeter and halved with a small bay near the exterior door to level last on my way out.
20170809_195047.jpg

The final finished floor height (even with 10mm boards) will be above the pvc step but I have got a plan to sort that out.

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Floor levelled and ready for boards and heatbase when ever that will be.

20170811_152258.jpg

20170812_115722.jpg

20170812_152501.jpg

20170812_152529.jpg

20170812_152554.jpg

My Dads first attempt at the rails failed after they started collapsing and blowing away when he opened the door to show me what a neat job he'd done. He thought the mortar mix was predosed and had to just add water and was surprised it wasn't solid after a couple of years in his shed. Told him to go get some new stuff but he's a bit of a womble and forgotten he must have used the cement dose years ago for something else. So his first attempt was basically playing with sand :D

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Great job on the levelling, how did he make the barriers just a trowel?

Just dump some sand/cement between the dots and press down with a wet straight edge, cut excess off sides and slide off. I learnt this technique off Phil Hobson on this forum. Best thing about it is you know it will be perfect and doing it in bays means you can take on any bad floor any size on your own. Even better than that is you're not rushing and stressing when you're doing it.

Last edited:
OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had today free to finally get back to my mum and dads with the hope of tile at some point next week.
Fitted the insulation boards and heat base mat.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

Hopefully my sparky mate will be free to help me tomorrow so I can get the cable laid and SLC.
My Dad, being my Dad, doesn't want surface mounted cables like they did when he had the alarm fitted (I'm sure that install is illegal as the wire looks far too thin for the ring main) and he doesn't want the hassle of the other side of the wall chased - fair enough it's wall papered. Think the only way he'll be happy is if we have the spur, thermostat and fan/light switch in a row. So drilled a brick out in the hope that my sparky will be able to feed the cables through the cavity, do his thing and make it all work.

IMG_0083.JPG

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Weber floor flex.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Great to see another happy customer converted to our HeatBase system! How did you find it to use? And what do you think to the quality of our cable?

OP
macten

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was really easy to use Jake and so much less faffing than cutting mesh and turning bits of mat. Suppose the only worry I had was 'what if there's too much cable? I'd be screwed' but I sent you a plan and you said 165m would be fine and it was. My sparky fits a lot of eUFH but he'd not seen this kit before and he was well impressed. I've passed on Uheats details to him. Do I need the final invoice for the warranty Jake? I've only got the delivery receipt and a revised quote.

Went round today to set out and familiarise myself with the tiles and pattern they wanted and I ended up dry laying the lot.
So just need a couple of days free to stick'em and grout.

IMG_E0117.JPG

IMG_E0118.JPG

IMG_E0119.JPG

IMG_E0120.JPG

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Was really easy to use Jake and so much less faffing than cutting mesh and turning bits of mat. Suppose the only worry I had was 'what if there's too much cable? I'd be screwed' but I sent you a plan and you said 165m would be fine and it was. My sparky fits a lot of eUFH but he'd not seen this kit before and he was well impressed. I've passed on Uheats details to him. Do I need the final invoice for the warranty Jake? I've only got the delivery receipt and a revised quote.

Good to hear, as long as I have the warranty cards returned that'll be fine.

Reply to Would you bother with 2 mats? in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock