Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Wooden Floor Prep, Tounge & Groove Floorboards in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. Cat

Cat TilersForums.co.uk Addict

What would you all suggest for preparing our upstairs bathroom floor for tiling?

Currently it is standard T&G floorboards with gaps here and there where it was repaired by the previous owner.

My first thought was to put a thin ply over the existing and screw it down. Do I need to do anything else?

Ideally keeping thickness to a minimum.

I dont have any tiles in mind yet, but once the hexagon one is finished and usable I want to start on this one.

Thanks, Cat

2. Simon Dale

Simon Dale Professional Tiler

I love Dukka board ! I get it cheap lol. Jacko board . Hardie ?Not ply

3. Localtiler

Localtiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Your tiler should advise on what he prefers to use but most use hardiebacker or ‘no more ply’
    Both 6mm thick and both cement boards. Or there are insulation boards, generally used at 10mm thick on floors

4. Cat

I was hoping for something thinner, but it thats what it needs to be then thats what I will do. Thanks

5. Localtiler

You won’t get anything thinner than 6mm. Unless your floor is in tip top condition, then you could use an uncoupling layer less than 1mm thick directly onto the floorboards but by the sounds of it, that’s probably not going to work for you.

6. Cat

Floors aren't great. There was a leak at some point under the bath so they replaced some but not all of boards. My partner had seen something on YouTube I think where they put thin ply down and then some mesh stuff but don't know what it's called, is that the same stuff you just mentioned?

7. Cat

Everything will be taken out as moving bathroom round so was planning on tiling everything and having a fee standing bath

8. Localtiler

Avoid plywood and go with what I said in my first post.

9. Cat

Will do. Thanks for the advice

10. pdc

pdc Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

If you're taking everything out and moving it around you might as well take the floorboards up and replace them with something more suitable for tiling. You can then also make sure the floor is solid.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Adey1980

Adey1980 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

As @pdc@pdc said and on the plus side you know it will last as wont need any pontential future repairs.

12. Del W

Del W Professional Tiler

Lilley Tile & Stone stock 22mm thick tongue & groove cement board. Replace floorboards with this, heres theyre number. 01227362612. Don't know if they will deliver to you as they are based in Herne Bay, Kent.

• Like Like x 2