Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Been tile for awhile now and have had good feedback from customers on jobs done however im not that busy all the time and the cost of an nvq seems high. I only do domestic work so would i need it or is it just if you work on site? plus if i do can i offset the cost against my tax? Any advise would be much appreciated guys.

OP
O

Olz

that is if you have been tile long enough me im a dinosaur 25years in

4 years would be long enough though surley? so anyone who gets the cscs card now, would have 4 years in when it came to renewal time.

I'll have to get the test done and get myself a card sorted, failing to plan after all is planning to fail, as they say.

OP
S

smurf21

osat on site assesment and training including NVQ ,health and safty test , and free cscs card £512.oo

OP
T

The D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a CSCS card is only valid for one year unless you have a NVQ

OP
D

Daz

I'm confused......

I passed CSCS test in November 2007.
I've just checked my card and it says "Expires end Jan 2013".

In my confused state that means it is valid for 5 years and there is absolutely no mention of an NVQ requirement.

Does anyone know for sure what the ruling is????

OP
T

tkm18

So if ive been working 18 years, served 3 years, to work ive to go to college to have someone show how to put a 6x6 onto a gyproc wall and show me how to lace my steelys?

Lot of bllx IMO.

Ahh, but someone makes money out of it. LOL

OP
T

The D

If you’ve been tile for five years or more you can do the O.S.A.T or E.W.P.A.R you do not have to go to collage but you do have to be assessed.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
So if ive been working 18 years, served 3 years, to work ive to go to college to have someone show how to put a 6x6 onto a gyproc wall and show me how to lace my steelys?

Lot of bllx IMO.

Ahh, but someone makes money out of it. LOL

I don't think it's quite like that.

You will have 90% of your "portfolio" already made up. So it'll be a case of questions and answers I think. And with your experience you should fly though it.

You have to understand the advantages to this. It'll help get the UK tilers work. It'll help get customers jobs to a set standard. It'll help put some tilers a league ahead of those not bothering.

It's still an interesting debatable subject - but I think it's a very good thing.

Just give some of the centre's a call and have a chat, I think you'll find you'll get it quite easy with your experience.

www.tilingcoursescompanies.co.uk for some numbers to call.

OP
T

tkm18

I don't think it's quite like that.

You will have 90% of your "portfolio" already made up. So it'll be a case of questions and answers I think. And with your experience you should fly though it.

You have to understand the advantages to this. It'll help get the UK tilers work. It'll help get customers jobs to a set standard. It'll help put some tilers a league ahead of those not bothering.

It's still an interesting debatable subject - but I think it's a very good thing.

Just give some of the centre's a call and have a chat, I think you'll find you'll get it quite easy with your experience.

www.tilingcoursescompanies.co.uk for some numbers to call.

TBF my post last night was a bit harsh, i do agree there should be regulations etc.

I can see the point of the safety one btw.

But going by the posts already made, is it going o to cost me £1k to get work? :mad2:

Will have to look into it via the link.

OP
R

rhyd4

surely training centers not offering nvq's will have to change there ways,and people that dont advitise that get all the work from recomendations wont need and nvq

OP
T

The D

I'm confused......

I passed CSCS test in November 2007.
I've just checked my card and it says "Expires end Jan 2013".

In my confused state that means it is valid for 5 years and there is absolutely no mention of an NVQ requirement.

Does anyone know for sure what the ruling is????
Is your card a trade specific or is it a labourer’s card eg is it blue or green

OP
T

The D

surely training centers not offering nvq's will have to change there ways,and people that dont advitise that get all the work from recomendations wont need and nvq
At the moment it is very hard for a privet centre to get accreditation to deliver NVQ. Ask chase tile academy about the hoops they had to jump thru. The CSCS card will not affect privet work YET.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

At the moment it is very hard for a privet centre to get accreditation to deliver NVQ. Ask chase tile academy about the hoops they had to jump thru. The CSCS card will not affect privet work YET.

Both interesting comments there, and both very right. Training centre's are fidning it hard to get the right accreditation. You'll find most of the good ones have some backing from a governing body.

So just make sure you're calling the right training centre's when looking.

I think in many cases there is funding available.

Reply to Why do i need an nvq by 2010? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock