Discuss Who’s at fault for this hairline cracking? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
A recent flooring customer of mine had a big new build done, My company done all flooring at the house except any tiling on this job. A tiler done all walls and floors in this bathroom.

Customers asked me to go there today and uplift a tile for her as the tiler isn’t playing ball atm and blaming the ceramic tiles she just wanted to get to the bottom of what’s caused the cracking

Basically as per pictures attached you can see the tiles had hairline cracks

I’ve now uplifted parts of the tiles where the cracking was worst and revealed the issue that I can see has happened but want you guys (professional tilers) opinions to see if it is as mine is.

It’s now going to be full suite out uplift back down to chipboard and go again replacing the UFH system as that’s Ruined also as it wasn’t latex’d in he just put adheisbe on top which o know is fine but in this instance more exspensive replacement. 22A97D3A-628C-4947-89E8-82052BC76A21.jpeg 818C666C-4515-4B11-8367-5BDA7302CBBA.jpeg F3B284CB-98D3-4C97-8866-A6FC06052574.jpeg DCBE98E6-48C7-4311-9CB0-BA49CEF35638.jpeg

Reaction score
As always we don't know the full story as the tiler may of recommnded a certain course of action which they didn' we t him to take . But other than that inadequate prep

Yeah I appreciate that, but in the same house another tiler done the other 3 bathrooms and perfectly with no issues.

He couldn’t do this last bathroom as fell ill at the time it was required so a new tiler was employed. Original timer had put 6mm plywood over existing chipboard then sorta matted and they are all perfect.

When the customer asked this tiler todo same method his reply was, no I don’t use that I use hardy backer board instead. Which of course should still be perfectly adequate if installed correctly.

Basically he’s run his backer boards the same way as the chipboard (not put them at right angle to chipboard and planned his joins very well) so in this instance his board joints have fell directly ontop of the chipboard Joins. New build that’s had shrinkage as expected and caused this failure.

Expensive mistake I’d say.

Reaction score
As stated above, I didn’t install these tiles. I will however be the one redoing the job once all ripped out ready to start again.

All I know reference the tiles is that they were ceramic floor tiles.

I’m aware of how they should be installed it’s exactly the same when we put UFH systems down and use backer/ insulation boards for that. Or when fitting sheets of plywood. Always cross bond it to the substrate if timber (floorboards/ chipboard)

Anyway, thank you for everyone’s comments comfriming.

O

On one

Is it just 1 crack going in one direction or multiple cracks going in mutiple directions?

Reply to Who’s at fault for this hairline cracking? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks