Discuss Which tile cutter do I need? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Bald Bloke

Happy New Year Everyone.

A newbie who has recently got into tiling but finding the manual cutters and wet cutters a headache with regards what to go for? Don't want to waste money buying the cheap stuff and regretting it but at the same time don't want to waste money on the more expensive gear and would have been better with the cheaper stuff?

I have 3 projects to do, all include wall and floor tile projects and potentially go upto 600mm tiles and possibly one project will be porcelain tiles.

Can you advise which manual cutter and which wet cutter to go for please?

Thanks in advance.

O

Old Mod

Here is two search result pages, with enough content to keep you going for a while.
Maybe you can narrow your choice down to a brand or size, then ask for opinions again.
This is a massive discussion point on the forum, and of course, a very subjective topic.
Good luck. :)

Search Results for Query: Which tile cutter - http://www.tilersforums.com/search/982650/?q=Which+tile+cutter&o=date&c%5Btitle_only%5D=1

Search Results for Query: Which tile cutter - http://www.tilersforums.com/search/982654/?q=Which+tile+cutter&o=date

B

Bald Bloke

Thank you for the reply - I have been looking at purchasing the Sigma 2g manual tile cutter and the rubi du 200 l with a porcelain blade if you can get one?

Are these 2 products good and will they suffice. I know the sigma won't cut 600mm length tiles but for that small project could I use the Rubi for the straight cuts?

O

Old Mod

Personally I'd go bigger on the sigma,
Up to the 3B4M, 620mm push model as opposed to a pull.
That will cover the vast majority of domestic work.
From there, if you want a smaller cutter at a later date, you'll have a better idea as to what size will suit you.
600 x 300mm are one of the most popular size tile formats these days and will so become a complete pain having to use a wet cutter for every 600mm tile.
And to be honest, if you want a wet machine, wait til you can afford something more substantial.
You would be better off with a small angle grinder and porcelain blade for L cuts and the like.
That's just my opinion tho, there are plenty of others out there. (Opinions :D)

I

Italy

Personally I'd go bigger on the sigma,
Up to the 3B4M, 620mm push model as opposed to a pull.
That will cover the vast majority of domestic work.
From there, if you want a smaller cutter at a later date, you'll have a better idea as to what size will suit you.
600 x 300mm are one of the most popular size tile formats these days and will so become a complete pain having to use a wet cutter for every 600mm tile.
And to be honest, if you want a wet machine, wait til you can afford something more substantial.
You would be better off with a small angle grinder and porcelain blade for L cuts and the like.
That's just my opinion tho, there are plenty of others out there. (Opinions :D)
same for me .
marc,because you say what I think? ;)

R

Rookery

Me too. I'm amazed at the number of people that use a wet cutter because they have the wrong type of score n snap, saying it wont cut porcelain. In my experience, score and snap is easily 10 times faster and will give a cleaner edge. I would also recommend a Sigma 3B4 or 4M and a small table top wet cutter for key cuts and the odd bit of stone work.

Reply to Which tile cutter do I need? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks