Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Which quick setting plaster to tile off in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
So I have stripped this kitchen wall back and the skim coat has come off most of the wall with the tiles. Underneath is a bonding /base coat plaster. That is sound and level. But for the lack of a skim coat the wall is in great condition. I know that you can't tile on bonding and I would normal reboard but there isn't the depth at the back of the hob to do so.

What plaster do you use that can i skim on that is suitable for use on an undercoat and will set off sharpish?

Last edited:
OP
acaciaguy

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thank you! Anything to do to wall before applying one coat ? Prime ? How long until it can be tiled on. I’m doing 2mm

W

Waluigi

5:1 water to PVA, coat the walls. When dry 3:1 PVA on the walls and then trowel them up. 2mm skim? Will be dry the following day. Leave as long as you can though

W

Waluigi

It might work fine. I tend to carry PVA so use that as it’s tried and tested. Primer works on a finish coat so there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work on bonding.

W

Waluigi

Yeah, also have a read on the tub about what it says about using it for plastering. They vary with what they recommend. It’s usually about 5:1 then 3:1

Reply to Which quick setting plaster to tile off in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock