Discuss Which adhesive, concrete floor. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

newtile

Hi there this is my first post I’ve been reading the forum for a while now , doing research for my first tile
project. I’m going to tile my living room. At the moment I’m getting more and more confused about which
adhesive to use. My tiles are 300 x 300mm
The floor is concrete.
Can I tile straight onto the concrete or should I use a primer first? And for the adhesive I know I will need to use one that is cement based . I see that bal and mapei gets mentioned a lot here but bal looks very expensive. Not sure whether to use flexible or non flex. Also the rapid dry and normal dry.

Will the rapid dry too fast for a beginner? I read in another post somewhere can’t find it now that if you use
normal dry time, your tiles will sink in the drying time, is this true?
I’m veering towards the mapei brand as I know where I can buy 20kg bags in London , Could someone please suggest which one I should go with if mapei is ok. Or maybe another brand.

phil

D

doug boardley

Mapei is a great adhesive, do you plan on having UFH?. Personally I always use a flexible adhesive, usually a rapid set on floors but as this is your first project and assuming you can keep people off the floor for 24 hours you may find a standard set more to your liking. I always prime concrete floors just to consolidate the dust.

S

Stewart

As above, prime floor with a suitable primer for the adhesive. I would also use a flexible standard set adhesive to give yourself more time.

I

Ian

Good advice already. For me flexible, slow setting, cement based adhesive (I don't like being rushed so rarely use rapid set!). Always prime concrete floors, if you are getting mapei adhesive, use mapei primer g.

H

hillhead

Ill back the standard setting adhesive for a beginner and yes keep everyone off it for at least 24 hours as above.

N

newtile

Thanks
everyone for your replies, No I will not be installing UFH. I have taken on board all your advice, so I will prime and use a normal dry time flexible. Won’t be starting for a few weeks yet . Yes I hope I can put some pictures up to be proud of when finished.

phil

K

kevg

Wouldnt a membrane like Schluter Ditra be used on a concrete floor ? If the concrete floor has not cracked or even if it has, it might do again in the future.

D

doug boardley

Wouldnt a membrane like Schluter Ditra be used on a concrete floor ? If the concrete floor has not cracked or even if it has, it might do again in the future.
not always necessary Kev, if there is no chance of lateral shift I tend to forego the decoupler.

Reply to Which adhesive, concrete floor. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks