Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss When to use ditra matting in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi

Would like opinions on when to use ditra matting - all the time or in certain situations.

~Thanks

Howard:ninja:

OP
W

wetdec

Uncoupling, decoupling membranes matting should be used on difficult surfaces.

The principle -

To separate, uncouple, decouple your tiled area from sub-bases which may be subject to tension across their surface.

Eg - Screeds with heating pipes in will expand and and contract during the heating up and cooling down process, this can cause cracks in the surface

Floors over boarded with ply wood. Wood will expand and contract as it warms and cools separating at joints.

New screeds as they dry will shrink up and or expand expand

All the above are instances where you might use a membrane, they are all instances where movement can crack your finished tile surface.

How it works -

Uncoupling mats are manufactured in 2 layers, the top layer to which you fix your tiles is a plastic form, the bottom layer which fixes to the floor is a fleece type membrane. These two layers are sandwiched together.

If and when the floor beneath the membrane moves and cracks the fleece layer tears but leaves the plastic layer above in tact and the tiles sound.

Schluter, Durabase, PCI, Homelux, all supply uncoupling membranes in differing forms for use under tiles and stone on unstable areas.

Uncoupling membranes will prevent cracking across a surface they will not combat up and down movement eq springy floors.................

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Perry

Wetdecs got it spot on lads so don't forget this important part lots of pepps seem to
Uncoupling membranes will prevent cracking across a surface they will not combat up and down movement eq springy floors.................
:pete :smash:

OP
N

NWB Tiling

Just a few questions for clarity:-

So is that any wooden floor that has been overboarded with ply ?

Does size matter ! ( floor size that is) is membrane generally required for larger floor areas ?

Would it be required on an old conservatory screed floor ?

Would it be required on an old conservatory screed floor with electric UFH ?

Thanks very much

OP
P

Perry

So is that any wooden floor that has been overboarded with ply ? No

Does size matter ! ( floor size that is) is membrane generally required for larger floor areas ? Yes

Would it be required on an old conservatory screed floor ?

Would it be required on an old conservatory screed floor with electric UFH ?

Not Necessarily

The only time i would use ditra is on a green screed as its as easy and cost affective as others and to thick :pete :santa_cheesy:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

wetdec

You need to weigh this up and use a certain amount of common sense......

Kitchens, living spaces, offices, conservatories with wood or unstable floors where areas are big will be far more succeptable to cracking and lateral movement simply because of their area alone in these cases then an uncoupling membrane should be used.

Bathrooms, wet rooms, showers where areas are limited say to 6m can be treated slightly differently in that although the risk of damage remains the areas arnt vast. The greater problem with these rooms is increase in height as an uncoupling membrane runs to approx 3mm which gives you build.

In wet room, bathroom, shower areas using a tanking membrane such as Dura-wp is sufficient to keep you safe. Tanking membranes are thin and so height increase is kept to a minimum while maintaining integrity. As with larger areas floors must be sound and over-boarded correctly before use.

OP
B

brian c

this is a great thread for anyone wanting to know about decoupling membranes ..well done wetdecs....and me old mucker Ped.

OP
G

Gazebo

Great advice and info wetdecs, have been scratching my head re: uncoupling membranes until i read your easy explanation. if i am laying insulation board on top of a membrane using spf do i need to prime membrane 1st.?
cheers
Gary:8:

Reply to When to use ditra matting in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock