Discuss When things go WRONG: Why we get called out to jobs to rescue clients with bodge job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Deleted member 1779

Example of when THINGS GO WRONG:

Case study:

Client uses a general builder for a loft conversion. By the time we arrived on site there was a lot of trauma and finger pointing.

The builder quotes to do all the work himself. What we see is a "basic" job gutting out then plaster boarding the loft. He completes First fix electrics, plumbing, plastering and door furniture, paints etc.

The builder has done a reasonable job. But many angles were off, work is "ok" but not perfect.

Biggest mistake the builder made was not to subcontract the tiling to a pro. The client has purchased an expensive top end selection of porcelain tiles and glass inserts. But although the builder is a jack of all trades he has never dealt with these materials before so wings it. He soon runs into all sorts of problems fitting it.

1.jpg

Even so his work is not looking too bad huh!

4.jpg

His Second fix is coming along nicely.

But lets look closer.... To get to this point in tiling the builder had broken about 2 x boxes of glass tiles and porcelain tiles when he tried to "drill" the service pipes.

61.jpg

Above you can see he used an angle grinder used to "hack" the tiles. from the back. The problem is that the hack over-bored the holes so the capping plates do not cover the mess. He even planned the tiles to "fall" into the four corners to make the waste pipe easy to grind. Thats time wasting and not really necessary with the availability of large 40mm diamond drills. If only he knew they were out there..

14.jpg

His second error is that when trying to drill small holes for example for the shower rail he tried to cheat and use the grout line. But all this managed to do was split the glass tile. Arrgggg... And to cap it all off his masonry drills were burning out on the porcelain tiles.

At this point the builder gave up and walked off the job.... Client very distressed at losing so many expensive tiles and faced with taking out this damaged tile.

The client gets onto the internet and finds 365Drills. When we arrived at the site the first thing we do is managed to convince the client we can save the tile. Saving it reduces the time on the job removing it, new adhesive, new grout and costs to the client are minimised.

48.jpg

We ground out the glass with an 8mm core

45.jpg

The Result (above). YES you can still see the split glass. Yes its ugly. But as luck would have it the broken piece can be covered with the capping plate as part of the shower rail. The glass had not split too deeply.

51.jpg

Moving on: This next hole looks much better! This is one we started from fresh. PORSADRILL diamond core drills (size 8mm used) can grind out the glass tile and you can see that its a perfect barrel.

This result is really strong and will take a rawl plug and the fitting without splitting the glass.

NEXT:

19.jpg

We then went on to finish drilling all the holes for the job to include

• Wash basin screws (16mm) plugs
  • Shower screen rails
  • Mirrors

40.jpg

54.jpg

The drill plate is so adaptable and flexible that when we came up against this preinstalled (and glued) shower door rail, rather than remove the rail to drill the hole, we cut a piece of the guide plate so that the 8mm guide was ultra close to the edge of the strip. It was just less hassle to cut a bit off than it was to undo the whole contraption.

SUM UP:
Tiles are becoming more sophisticated. A general builder might be able to wing it when dealing with a lot of the construction stuff. Most of it is common sense.

But clients should be aware that they pay (in time and money) for any areas the builder is not competent in.

If the builder had been aware of Porsadrill I am confident he would have saved the cost of those broken tiles when he installed service pipes. He would have saved the embarrassment of splitting a fitted glass tile. He would have saved his own time plus he would not have walked from the job for something so trivial.

D

Deleted member 9966

Re: When things go WRONG: Why we get called out to jobs to rescue clients with bodge

Nice one Rich :hurray:

In my line of day-job work, I cannot possibly know everything there is to know about the intricasies and detail, so I always speak to someone who does know these things before I make a decision or respond to something.

Just a little bit of reflection and forward thinking can stop a lot of things going completely wrong.

:thumbsup:

F

faithhealer

Re: When things go WRONG: Why we get called out to jobs to rescue clients with bodge

Well 'saved' richard', must remember to 'refresh' my set next month.

H

Hawkofeagles

WTF !!! I can't believe the mistakes the builder made. I'm no professional but have been tiling for a few years and have always used 365Drills when needed. I have found that 365Drills are the best for drilling Porcelain, Glass, Stone and any other tile I have laid. I thought an angle grinder was for cutting steel or stone :yikes: not tiles

Well Done for turning a half decent job in to a professional looking job.. :thumbsup:

Neil.Col

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score

:thumbsup: Superhero :smilewinkgrin:

D

Deleted member 1779

Yup.... Makes you wonder!

This is what the soil pipe looks like with the capping plate ON.

17.jpg

The cap is pushed right up to the tile and that is a so called "Finish"

Lots of other mistakes but I thought I would keep them focused on the tiling errors...

D

doug boardley

knight in shining armour:24:(soz about the pooh!)

D

Deleted member 1779

Oh its all done for Love.....

kit2.jpg

Well almost love..

S

shercotoe

i have been using tileasy drill bits lately, mostly 6mm for red plugs. Cant beat them for price & wear.

D

djess

whats the idea behind the yellow plate

H

Hawkofeagles

Hi Djess you press and hold the plate in place while you drill the tile. It basically makes sure the drill tip does not skate all over the tile when drilling, very effective I must say.:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1779

Its an anti-slip guide plate.

Designed to hold the drill on the wall

br3a.jpg

It replaces the need for central pilot drills which cost over £29 each and are only made of carbide metal.

dd.jpg

All our drills are hollow diamond cores.

If you were to use a core with a pilot drill then it also needs to be fitted with an expensive arbour and water jet to continuously flood water to cool the pilot drill.

pilotcolour.jpg

This is core with a pilot drill... WE DO NOT USE PILOT DRILLS

Removing pilot drills saves you, time, water and money.

A

Aqua Tiling

moz-screenshot.jpg
how much does a set like that put u bk

W

White Room

Did'nt work mate

F

faithhealer

about 50 quid I believe, worth every penny

Reply to When things go WRONG: Why we get called out to jobs to rescue clients with bodge job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks