Discuss What's the best course of action for this wall? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good evening all. Removed some tiles in bathroom and damaged the wall. Plaster has come off, underneath I think its bonding plaster? Haven't a clue.
What would be the best repair method for the wall, also can I installHardiebacker without plastering the wall after the repair?

Will be installing mosaic tiles.

Any help is appreciated.
20190306_195147.jpg
20190306_195106.jpg
20190306_192738.jpg

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you are installing mosaics the wall needs to be perfect , knock off and reboard, I wouldn’t bother with hardie , its a pain imo and plasterboard is perfect, if its in a wet room , tank it

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Installing mosaics - put the effort into having a perfect surface to tile on. Will save you so much when tiling.

Reaction score
If you are installing mosaics the wall needs to be perfect , knock off and reboard, I wouldn’t bother with hardie , its a pain imo and plasterboard is perfect, if its in a wet room , tank it
not looking to knock back. Its too much work and the wall is where a window and toilet is. :(
Just want wall as flat as possible to put some type of backing board over.
Do you recommend multifinish over surface or another product?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Is the bonding sound? If you have a window and reboard are you happy with the extra wall thickness around window ?

Last edited:

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
The trouble with any plaster finish is that the surface flatness is unlikely to be good enough for mosaics. Another method is to dry line with Orbry board with supplemental Orbry Spanker mechanical fixings. Boards are waterproof so use waterproof tape on joint for wet room. Boards incorporate insulation so reduces risk of condensation (always include forced ventilation in bathroom) and mouldy grout.
https://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/Orbry-Spanker-Dowel-Fixing-Guide.pdf
Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

Reaction score
Is the bonding sound? If you have a subdue and reboard are you happy with the extra wall thickness around window ?

As shown in the pictures its pretty much just parts that have come off and texture in some places so not smooth. Was thinking of filling damage then getting flat as possible, then 6mm backerboard. Just need to know what product to fill holes and over the bonding to get smooth as possible.

Reaction score
The trouble with any plaster finish is that the surface flatness is unlikely to be good enough for mosaics. Another method is to dry line with Orbry board with supplemental Orbry Spanker mechanical fixings. Boards are waterproof so use waterproof tape on joint for wet room. Boards incorporate insulation so reduces risk of condensation (always include forced ventilation in bathroom) and mouldy grout.
https://www.tilefixdirect.com/pdf/Orbry-Spanker-Dowel-Fixing-Guide.pdf
Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

Thanks already have some prowarm boards. Is yours better?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To be clear you want to get wall to a decent finish before reboarding with plasterboard or a backer board?

If so don’t bother, reboard on what you have and get that plumb and level

Last edited:
W

Waluigi

Hack it all off down to brick/block and Dot and Dab Plasterboard.

Messy but worth it when you consider you can achieve a perfectly Plumb wall and smooth surface to tile on to.

Reaction score
Hack it all off down to brick/block and Dot and Dab Plasterboard.

Messy but worth it when you consider you can achieve a perfectly Plumb wall and smooth surface to tile on to.

Not an option for me. Also, the wall is not damaged enough to warrant all that work.

Reply to What's the best course of action for this wall? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks