Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What to use to tile onto plywood? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Just stripped out a tiled shower cubicle, the tiles were put onto plywood, and had an ok bond. Ive overboarded with Multipanel now but theres a half foot gap at the top that wants tile with some porcelain tiles.

I cant really replace it with cement board for various reasons.

I have Primer G and Keraflex s1 already for the plastered walls as only seem to be able to get Mapei stuff around here.

What can I use to securely stick these tiles?

Cheers

O

One Day

tile to plywood? I would suggest one of these:

313DQisgqCL._SY355_.jpg

Seriously though, it's just not a good idea - ever.
TTA URGES AWARENESS OF CHANGES IN BRITISH STANDARD BS 5385 PART 1: 2018 WALL & FLOOR TILING - Tilezine - http://www.tilezine.co.uk/tta-urges-awareness-changes-british-standard-bs-5385-part-1-2018-wall-floor-tiling/

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Yes I know its not ideal but I have no choice. Theres no other way. So need to figure out what people use to do it well.

The cubicle I had just ripped out was tiled by someone onto plywood over 15 years ago, and they wernt that easy to chisel off. Literally had to get the sds out in some places.

O

One Day

Your problem will be that 15 years ago, plywood was generally good with a decent thick top layer of hardwood.
Nowadays it is so dodgy that it's just not worth the risk.
Personally, I would never tile direct to plywood in any circumstances.

J

Just Rizzle

the only ply that you could possibly tile on to is sp101 flooring grade ply used in the LVT industry

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ive replaced what I can with Hardiebacker but theres still a 2m by 15cm strip to tile. This cant be replaced.

Anyone used Mapei Eco Prim Grip or Primer S on plywood?

I really need a way to make them stick with the best chance possible.

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Your problem will be that 15 years ago, plywood was generally good with a decent thick top layer of hardwood.
Nowadays it is so dodgy that it's just not worth the risk.
Personally, I would never tile direct to plywood in any circumstances.
its the same 15 yr old ply Im tile on to. Just a small section of it.

OP
W

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Got the plywood area down to 10 x 200cm.

latex plus + keraquick

plus

Bal sbr if I can find it where I am, if not is there a similar primer to look out for?

P

Perfect Tiling

Just a thought.......if your'e tile in a shower cubicle why dont you tank the whole area first with a waterproof coating such as Ardex. I always tank shower areas with Ardex or Mapie aquadefence. These stick to absolutely anything and surely this will mean that your'e not actually tile onto the plywood. Its always a good practice to waterproof shower areas anyway......

W

Waluigi

Too risky with ply nowadays. Just not worth it.

Think of the cost to replace if it fails vs the cost to do the correct prep initially. Ripping up and replacing after installation is a whole world more money.

Reply to What to use to tile onto plywood? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock