Discuss What to do with this floor... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post on here...

I've been to see a kitchen floor to be tiles but when I have investigated the sub floor it's a block & beam floor with jabblight (polystyrene stuff) and chipboard layed over the top, the chipboard doesn't look like it's been screwed anywhere and seems very 'bouncy' any ideas what best route to go or would you say the floor is not suitable for tiling or use a s2 adhesive or something... any help would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Q

Qwerty

A floating floor.....not really suitable to be tiled onto I'm afraid. Many tilers will, and to be honest if there was no bounce and with the aid of a decoupling membrane you may be ok. In my experience and with what you describe, I would walk away.

Reaction score
Just to give you guys an update the builder whos job it was was adamant on having the floor tiled and he screwed the floor down through the insulation and into the block and beam floor. I told him that I can't guarantee it will work but he said he didn't mind so I have tiled the floor.

G

GoneGuy

Hello and welcome to the forum,
If you can get something in writing from the builder so that you have some sort of proof that he will take responsibility for any future issues

Reply to What to do with this floor... in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks