Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What size T spacers for metro style tiles (10cm x 20cm) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
When are you starting?

OP
G

Graham

TF
Reaction score
Friday morning :) Trim arrived today, tiles here too, https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, primer and tools also here. 6mm notch trowel, got a Rubi one for £4 from Screwfix which I thought wasn't too bad.

OP
G

Graham

TF
Reaction score
One more question actually - in terms of the Genesis profile trims I have, do they need to be all around the tiles like a frame? Or do I just do external vertical corners? What's the recommendation / what would a pro tiler do?

The image in blue is the frames effect, perhaps OTT?
The image marked in red is just the bottom and vertical external bits only.

opt1.jpg
opt2.jpg

D

Dumbo

Horses for courses . Ie it's your choice but no need to do the bottom that should be a silicone joint .

OP
G

Graham

TF
Reaction score
Well, if a Pro Tiler / Top Contributor says no need to have a profile at the bottom, then that's good enough for me. I guess that means no need to have a profile at the top either, so I will simply use profiles (vertical) on the corners and that's that. :)

OP
G

Graham

TF
Reaction score
Trim is 8mm, the metros (measured with calipers) are around 7.3mm at their thickest part and at the outer edge (the bevelled bit), they are about 4mm.

W

Waluigi

Mitre or trim the external vertical corners. Unless you know how to mitre tiles properly then I’d avoid doing this.

The only question for me would be whether I’d pop a trim on the top horizontal section of the tiles. This depends on the tile choice and the trim choice. A flat trim is usually best.

This one is chrome trim. Chrome trim on the horizontal on the top of tiles blends in better than you would think. The gap between Trim and wall is finished using decorators caulk.

Good luck!

28D7942C-9ABF-4DCA-BB1A-19A6E9F1AE8F.jpeg

OP
G

Graham

TF
Reaction score
Morning all, I have some progress pics and some questions.

First of, I think the finish is ok, but what you see below took me the whole of Sat to do. The tile wall is reasonably straight too, but it just seems to be taking ages. :(

I started about 9am. First, Mapei Primer G on the wall, diluted 1:1 (it's old plaster, wall was painted, scraped the paint off, water based paint).

After several coats of Primer G, and about an hour of dry time, I mixed some Keraflex Maxi up and set about tile the metros.

A.jpeg

The image below shows the left corner. I chickened out in the end and used the internal corner trim I bought even though I didn't think I'd need to in the beginning. Because the metro tiles have a bevel around the perimeter, they look a bit weird when cut in half and butted up next to each other.

My question at this point is what do I fill the gaps below with - trim? This is just below the wall units.

B.jpg

Reply to What size T spacers for metro style tiles (10cm x 20cm) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock