Discuss What is best to use in this situation. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

brother-chunky

Hey guys, quick question. I’m going to be filing a bathroom soon and I’ve just a little confused. Seen lots of conflicting info online so need a few things cleared up. The bathroom will be hardibacked so will I need to seal the board or prime seal it. The tiles are 300mm m2 so which adhesive will be best to use in terms of waterproofing and holding power.

Many thanks.

F

Flintstone

Brother, ditch the hardie and save yourself a head ache!

Adhesive, any s1 raped powder adhesive such as Tilemaster setaflex.

B

brother-chunky

Brother, ditch the hardie and save yourself a head ache!

Adhesive, any s1 raped powder adhesive such as Tilemaster setaflex.

Thanks pal! I think the guy said he already done it as his walls were all over the place. Should I just go for some s1 adhesive and go for it?

B

Bill

Thanks pal! I think the guy said he already done it as his walls were all over the place. Should I just go for some s1 adhesive and go for it?
Not quite.

You should still prep your walls so they are flat and plumb (if possible). The easiest way to do it is to use plasterboard, with drywall adhesive (assuming you have solid walls already). Then you can tank the walls if you want to be certain of no water penetration.

B

brother-chunky

Not quite.

You should still prep your walls so they are flat and plumb (if possible). The easiest way to do it is to use plasterboard, with drywall adhesive (assuming you have solid walls already). Then you can tank the walls if you want to be certain of no water penetration.
Ah ok so plasterboard is the better option? Then make sure everything is level. The bloke said his walls were out by 5-10mm so that’s why he’s boarding it didn’t feel up to trying to feather it all out.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would add, go for the moisture resistant plasterboard, it's green in colour. Best to prime and waterproof the shower area.

Q

Qwerty

I would add, go for the moisture resistant plasterboard, it's green in colour. Best to prime and waterproof the shower area.

The moisture resistant PB is a waste of money. Only the face is mildly water resistant. Save some dosh and buy standard square edge PB, then prime and tank

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Knauf plasterboard, called moisture panel has additives in the core as well which repel moisture.

Q

Qwerty

But if your tanking it, the water will never reach the core. Hence my statement to save money and use standard PB

B

brother-chunky

Hey guys, quick question. I’m going to be filing a bathroom soon and I’ve just a little confused. Seen lots of conflicting info online so need a few things cleared up. The bathroom will be hardibacked so will I need to seal the board or prime seal it. The tiles are 300mm m2 so which adhesive will be best to use in terms of waterproofing and holding power.

Many thanks.
I’m not a professional no. I’m just starting out. And received lots of info on my course but then reading different stuff online.

Reply to What is best to use in this situation. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks