Discuss What fixings to use? Raw plugs? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

robbieee

Putting an electric shower up and i drilled a hole using an 8mm drill bit. My walls are ceramic 8mm tiles onto plasterboard.

When i put the raw plug in it just spins round then drops down the back of the plasterboard!! What should i be using?

I

Ian

The plug should be tight in the hole, not spinning, use a smaller bit and use plugs that have a lip on the edge to stop them pushing past the tile.

R

robbieee

The plug should be tight in the hole, not spinning, use a smaller bit and use plugs that have a lip on the edge to stop them pushing past the tile.

I cant, i have already drilled the 8mm hole

R

robbieee

Would these suit?

Fischer High Performance Universal Plugs UX8 4.5-6mm Pack of 100 | NoLinksToThis

S

Stef

Bri, I always tell sparks/plumbers to push the rawl plug past the tile & into the substrate

There is no give in a tile & if they over tighten the screw then it will crack the tile, especially ceramics.

I've seen a lot & sorted a lot of these problems round about shower screens etc..

R

robbieee

Bri, I always tell sparks/plumbers to push the rawl plug past the tile & into the substrate

There is no give in a tile & if they over tighten the screw then it will crack the tile, especially ceramics.

I've seen a lot & sorted a lot of these problems round about shower screens etc..

Should i not use a raw plug then?
Or something like this:

Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm (8ga) Pack of 100 | NoLinksToThis

S

Stef

Should i not use a raw plug then?
Or something like this:

Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm (8ga) Pack of 100 | NoLinksToThis

Put a red plug into a blue plug, fill the hole with silicone push in the plugs, fill with more silicone & leave to set!!!

You get longer metal fixings with a setting tool, can't remember the name of them. They would do the trick but the hole would need to be bigger again..

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Fischer do 8mm collared expandable plugs. Available at most diy stores.
Grey in colour, about 40mm. The collar will stop it going through the hole, when you tighten the screw it will expand and pull up behind th3 board. Just don't over righten the screw.
Infact righten by hand, don't be tempted to use a drill.

Reply to What fixings to use? Raw plugs? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks