Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

J Sid

drilled 6 x 8mm holes on a marble job I did and wasn't going to charge. When I turned up the plumber said,' am I the electrician' . Customer said 'no' he charges alot then my electrician :eek: and then gave me a ÂŁ50 tip saying that's all he had left :D

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I always get a cup if i want but what ive found is the following....

I say yes to a tea and when i hear her coming up the stairs i get a bit of toilet paper and up it on the window sill so it doesn't leave a ring and she says "ill just leave it down here for you" and puts it on the floor! Ooh I'll get down on my hands and knees shall i and lap it up like a dog.
:mad:

W

Waluigi

Very rarely get a tip these days. However I’ve had some quite unusual things happen on my refits the last couple of years- food!

One couple would make me lunch every single day. Whether it be sandwiches or even a cauliflower cheese. Another lady decided to make me lunch but I had to sit down at a table and eat with her. That was a bit embrassing. In the end I had to make some excuses not to do any more work for her after I had finished one job.

Another elderly couple would call me down bang on 10am and we would sit down in the kitchen for coffee and a kit kat. Honestly I’ve had some fantastic customers.

Oh yeah, many years ago now when I was an employee, an old lady came up and asked if I’d like a pizza for lunch. I expected a frozen one but she made the whole thing from scratch, brought it up to me on a tray with a cold beer:tearsofjoy:

O

One Day

I had an 86p tip (rounded up the invoice) on a recent job for a banker.
That was after loads of mucking around, including negotiating with the tile shop for 4 new tiles at a value of over ÂŁ300 that were smashed in transit. And collecting sanitary ware for the plumber and door bars etc.
Asked to return asap and do more work...
Thanks, I'm busy now until Spring.

(and No - I don't care if they read this!)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Arrogant bankers!

Cold beer and a home made pizza mmm

I was asked to join and some of my regular customers (American) for their thanks giving stodge up. I must have sat down and eaten literally 5 normal dinners followed by 3 puddings...i was so bloated i could barely move, was panting and fell asleep as soon as i got in.

O

On one

Arrogant bankers!

Cold beer and a home made pizza mmm

I was asked to join and some of my regular customers (American) for their thanks giving stodge up. I must have sat down and eaten literally 5 normal dinners followed by 3 puddings...i was so bloated i could barely move, was panting and fell asleep as soon as i got in.
'God Bless America'

dedee

TF
Reaction score
Thought you might like to hear from a customer father than a tradesman.
The builders who came to relay the concrete slab for my terrace and extend a couple of retaining walls and relay 6 steps had coffee and cold drinks 2 or 3 times a day, with biscuits. We chatted a fair bit too and they took quite an interest in my woodworking workshop. They took away all the old tiles which I had ripped up and was going to take the tip myself as their boss wanted to charge me. They also let me choose the best of their old scaffold and shuttering boards and quite a few blocks as well. They left with quite a few beer beers and seemd genuinely taken aback by that.

The tiler who worked equally as hard refused every offer of tea/coffee which I made at least 3 times a day. He also left with a few beers.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Many years ago whilst installing central heating in council properties there was an Asian family that wanted a radiator moving to the other side of the kitchen door.

I said I would have to ask the clerk of works as the plans provided stated rad positions.
Said clerk of works came up to the property who walked in said no and walked out, no explanation why, he was a complete asshole!!

Anyway knowing he would not come back and check I said I would move it, I’m nice like that.

That was on the first day, and these are the days of half hour 10am tea breaks and 1pm lunch breaks.

Sat down in the van at 10, lady walks out with a tray of food, taps the window and passes it to me, it had loads of little dishes spicy chicken and potato etc.
Absolutely fantastic food, still the best curry I have ever eaten, although some a little hot for my weak pallet!

Anyway this happened twice a day, every day for the whole week. I stopped taking my sandwiches on the Wednesday!

Just shows a little jesture means a lot some people.

Q

Qwerty

Nice tip today :)

20181116_184711.jpg

O

On one

I thought today's house was going to be a 'dry house' but I ended up getting a cuppa just as I was about to roll the dust sheets up!

Reply to What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock