• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When serving my time with mee oll mate desy ( God rest him ) , going back 15-20years ago we always got sandwiches cookies and tea , and nearly every job we got a tip .
I've been thinking lately I've not had one in a very long time.
I recently cancelled a family holiday we had planned , to tile 400 mt house the owners want to move in asap because they had a baby coming and lived in a caravan .
I worked 16 hours a day usually started at 2-3 am to escape the heat .
I think I carried 10 pallets of 1800 x250 planks tile and adhesive on my own , I complete the job in 5 weeks finished on Friday before the Saturday they moved in and they never even bothered to come and see me after completing .
I even gave them a card and Campaign to celebrate there new home .
I called them back weeks later to see how everything was and they text back . " fine "
I think people in general have become unappreciating towards trades men because they hold resentment at what we earn and they think we are scum , from all the shows they watch on tv about cowboy builders.
What do you guys think on this subject

Q

Qwerty

I agree. It does seem that generally nowadays customers expect alot more for alot less. I tend to 'vet' my customees at the quote stage to avoid those types. Still happens every so often though.

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I never expect a tip . I charge for my work what I want therefore why should I get a tip i'm not a waiter
A waiter serves your dinner .
A tiler you meet every day for 5weeks , and a tiler who cleans all the mess and takes the trash to the dump , trash I don't own ! , im only paid to fix .
The more you do the less respect youget and the more they expect .
But this should never make you change your work ethic , rise above .
Im only asking to see if you guys are seeing the same

O

One Day

As above - interview your customers before taking the work on.
It's a society thing...people are becoming very "entitled" and unappreciative. Thankless.
I find the people with less money, or those that are self-made, are the most appreciative.
Younger generation think that the leased Audi they drive, makes them a better person than a tradesman in a van o_O
(stereotype I know!)

H

hmtiling

As above - interview your customers before taking the work on.
It's a society thing...people are becoming very "entitled" and unappreciative. Thankless.
I find the people with less money, or those that are self-made, are the most appreciative.
Younger generation think that the leased Audi they drive, makes them a better person than a tradesman in a van o_O
(stereotype I know!)
best tip I've ever had was on a council estate. Just did a job for a Baron and didn't even get offered a drink!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
What does it matter, as long as you get paid.........
One thing I've learnt in this job is never take thing's personally...
Saying that I won't even work a weekend to help out a customer ....(even a Friday is pushing it)....:)
I certainly wouldn't be cancelling family holidays......lifes to short..!!

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A tip for not leaving a tip , like most trades
What does it matter, as long as you get paid....
Saying that I won't even work a weekend to help out a customer ....(even a Friday is pushing it)....:)
I certainly wouldn't be cancelling family holidays......lifes to

There can be multiple reason why someone needs to take a job on the expense of a holiday , we don't have the luxury of sick pay and holiday pay etc', and most don't know when the next job
is you should know that !!!

S

Spare Tool

Been on a job for a builder at his home for three weeks, not had even the offer of a brew yet... Always take a two litre bottle of juice with me to work every day, last week I'd run out of juice by mid afternoon, asked him for a cold drink and he came back with a glass of luke warm tap water..."jeez can you spare it" ...BUT he pays immediately.
Job before this was treated to brews all day long and jam and cream scones for afternoon tea but had to wait two weeks for money to go in the bank..

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What does it matter, as long as you get paid.........
One thing I've learnt in this job is never take thing's personally...
I certainly wouldn't be cancelling family holidays......lifes to short..!!

Reaction score
Always nice to get the occasional tip but is pretty rare. But saying that virtually all my work now is through recommendations and word of mouth. (Maybe just lucky as Cornwall is a pretty small place). I think if customers just knew that for the cost of a few biscuits and cups of tea and coffee how much more you will go above and beyond on the job. And what they will get back in return work wise will far outweigh a few quid on tea bags custard creams and boiling a kettle . The standard is always there regardless but might be a case of offering to pop back to fit accessories, seal up once 2nd fixed.. etc. Look after your tiler and he/she will look after you.

T

Time's Ran Out

My customers are always Mr & Mrs to me till I get paid!
I take a kettle and a full tea party to my jobs as I don’t want to be bothered - coffee when I want one.
This job is interesting enough without having to add customer relations to the project.
If it’s respect your after earn it!

O

One Day

I appreciate being offered a drink, but the reality is that I pack my own coffee machine!
I will accept a brew when offered but I make it clear that one a day is enough for me.
I'm amazed when people say that other trades want a brew every 30 minutes. I would rather get working!
Tips are pretty rare. Occasionally have customers round up an invoice.
Once I had £100 tip and the best was a 2 seater german pedal go-kart given me which was worth (even second hand) £900.

I know a carpet fitter who worked all week in a mansion for some landed gentry type. Every day the butler would serve quality tea and biscuits etc - really looked after them. On the final day he overheard his customer - Sir whatever-his-name-was, say to the butler - "please be sure to give the gentleman the usual tip before he leaves."
Rubbing his greedy little hands together at the thought of a nice vintage bottle from the cellar, or some pound notes, he was pretty stunned to be presented with a multi-pack of Twix bars!

H

hmtiling

I take a kettle and a full tea party to my jobs as I don’t want to be bothered - coffee when I want one.
This job is interesting enough without having to add customer relations to the project.
Customer relations is a big part of the job for me John. The majority of people I get on with swimmingly and all of my work is referral. Respect and courtesy are 2 different things.

B

Blunt Tool

Had a painter and decorator in to my house a few years back to redecorate more or less whole house, he was the son of one of my wife’s friends. First day he turned up he handed me a packet of kraft cheesy pasta and told me he’ll have that at noon with a cup of tea! Told me to follow instructions on packet.
He didn’t leave a tip either!

Last edited by a moderator:

Doozy

TF
Reaction score

100% agree on this. Done little jobs on ropey council houses and been looked after like one of the family, fed, watered etc.

Also done plenty of work in huge houses worth a fortune and hardly ever seen the bottom of a mug.

In fact, we now always load up on coffee, sugar etc for the van if we're heading off somewhere high end

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I appreciate being offered a drink, but the reality is that I pack my own coffee machine!
I will accept a brew when offered but I make it clear that one a day is enough for me.
I'm amazed when people say that other trades want a brew every 30 minutes. I would rather get working!
Tips are pretty rare. Occasionally have customers round up an invoice.
Once I had £100 tip and the best was a 2 seater german pedal go-kart given me which was worth (even second hand) £900.

I know a carpet fitter who worked all week in a mansion for some landed gentry type. Every day the butler would serve quality tea and biscuits etc - really looked after them. On the final day he overheard his customer - Sir whatever-his-name-was, say to the butler - "please be sure to give the gentleman the usual tip before he leaves."
Rubbing his greedy little hands together at the thought of a nice vintage bottle from the cellar, or some pound notes, he was pretty stunned to be presented with a multi-pack of Twix bars!
An actual coffee machine, the one that dose espresso etc?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
One thing I've learnt is people buy into people, having that cup of tea and chat when offered goes a long way for future recommendations, reather than.... 'wouldn't have that misserible so and so working in my house again'....:rolleyes:

W

WetSaw

I like to be self sufficient so take whatever I want with me, plus the fact that most of the time when people make you a tea or coffee it's bloody awful!
Or when you get to the bottom of the cup and see how filthy it is...

I do get your point about a drink and a chat though Andy, as long as they don't start telling you their life story!

I

Italy

same ... ;)

W

Waluigi

When asked if I’d like a tea or coffee I’ll always ask if it’s instant coffee, which if it is I’ll ask for a strong tea with a tiny splash of milk and no sugar instead of crappy instant

I used to take my cafetière to work but I kept looking for excuses to make myself coffee. Things like ‘I’ll just get this done and then reward myself with a cup’

In reality I didn’t get that thing done but still made myself a cup.

CJ

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
They look after you........you’ll look after them. If they are miserable sods.......then any small “can you do this” will be body swerved.

Far too many people look down on tradesman nowadays.

OP
Balloo

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Afraid so. Love my coffee!
But I don't smoke and I keep my builders bum hidden so I'm allowed one weirdness.
Bloody great idea , im gonna get one too ,
Love my lavazza creamain the morning but it seems to taste better in a proper cup rather than travel mug and its usually cold very quickly

Cranbrook

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When asked if I’d like a tea or coffee I’ll always ask if it’s instant coffee, which if it is I’ll ask for a strong tea with a tiny splash of milk and no sugar instead of crappy instant

I used to take my cafetière to work but I kept looking for excuses to make myself coffee. Things like ‘I’ll just get this done and then reward myself with a cup’

In reality I didn’t get that thing done but still made myself a cup.

I take my argos filter coffee machine to all jobs.. Twelve quid, absolute bargain, proper coffee every day

O

One Day

Bloody great idea , im gonna get one too ,
Love my lavazza creamain the morning but it seems to taste better in a proper cup rather than travel mug and its usually cold very quickly

70032-21de3ff595ebe0a68c9a42c5b0c573da.jpg

Reply to What ever happened to getting a tip and maybe even a cup of tea in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer