• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss What do you use to mark your tiles for cuts... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

DHTiling

What do you use to mark your tiles with for cuts etc...do you use felt tips....lead pencils...china pencils.....what do you find best..??????

do you use different on mat and glossy tiles...etc etc.....

OP
B

bencurtis

all different depends on tile, but my sons crayon style pencils are good for wet cuts.:yes:

OP
R

Ric

i use lead pencil then score line with dry cutter, wet saw follows line nicely, but would like to know if there is anything better to use.

OP
G

GazTech

marking out..tile face

If snapping glazed tiles.ohp pens permanent, rub the mark off the tile if it is still visible after the cut....If the tile is satin face...pencil..(2 tiny marks top and bottom of tile)....Gaz

OP
G

ged

i ran out of marker pens on a job, but i bought a tipex pen from sweet shop and it worked great never lost the line in the wet cutter. Easy to buy when your miles away from a tile shop
ged

OP
G

grumpygrouter

i ran out of marker pens on a job, but i bought a tipex pen from sweet shop and it worked great never lost the line in the wet cutter. Easy to buy when your miles away from a tile shop
ged
Good tip that, bit hard on white tiles though!!:grin:

Grumpy

OP
P

penno

I always just use a pencil, even on dark tiles. Can always see it even if you use a wet cutter because it gives off that shine (providing you keep your water clean)

OP
C

cowboy

We use pretty much the same things herr in the states as you folks do over there.

I use pencil mostly & use the pencil/score trick as mentioned as well but the best thing I use for wet cuts on dark tile & most stone is a "White-Out pen" as found in office supply houses for covering up mistakes on paper? . Not sure what they may be called in the UK but Presto Ball point makes a version & I believe Bic too?

OP
P

penno

do you mean a tippex pen Cowboy? (what we call them here)

[DLMURL]http://www.paperstone.co.uk/cat_553-579-582_Correction-Pen-Inc-Tippex.aspx[/DLMURL]

Wipe off the tiles ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
V

Varley

I use ceramic markers from non other than Topps Tiles, they mark all types of tiles and don't come off in the wet cutter.

OP
W

woodie

All depends on what tiles i'm using, stone and matt tiles i use pencil, on porcelain or glossy tiles i use felts, i'll have to look in to that ceramic marker from topps and give it a try..Mike:yes:

OP
D

DHTiling

China pencils..no body use them.?..they dont wash off on the wet cutter...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Leatherface

I usually use pencils !!

BEWARE - pencil marks can be almost IMPOSSIBLE to remove from some light coloured polished porcelain tiles !!!!!

OP
R

Rad2474

China pencil but as wivers said blood will do, expelled a bit of that recently ripped bathroom out cheek to the wife etc...

OP
R

ryanbrown

For wet saws i draw a line and stick insulation tape alongside it. Sometimes you forget which end of tape is the line though lol.

If your cutting a straight line all the way through a tile with no angle, then you you dont even need to draw a line - just a dot on one end - put that dot under the saw and get the guide snapped on.

OP
H

Home Tiler

I've used a 6" nail ....(when i've lost my pencil)...and to be honest i think i prefer the nail now!!

Steve

OP
H

hillhead

2H,3H and 4H pencils,for glazed i use china markers which are fab even running through my sigma 10M water saw.

OP
H

hillhead

i do dave,just like that one in pic,brilliant,gave some to some tiler mates too,they were very impressed.i bought then online with aload of other pencils last year

OP
P

penno

Good tip, I'll try them. Trying to use a chinagraph pencil at present, doesn't seem to like damp tiles though!

Grumpy

Chinagraph's are a pain in the arse. One bit of wet and forget it, tiles have to be dryer than a dry thing on a dry day for chinas to work.

OP
D

DHTiling

Staedtler pencils.. use these all the time now over any other pencil.. and white china marker for dark tiles and grey china for polished stuff...

Reply to What do you use to mark your tiles for cuts... in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer