Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss What do you prefer at wall / ceiling abutment joint ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
evening chaps,

what do you prefer at wall / ceiling abutment joint ?
  1. grout
  2. silicone seal
  3. caulk seal
  4. 'nothing' just a shadow gap i.e. no grout / sealant
personally I like #4 - as long as the cuts are within 1mm tolerance of each other.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I always leave 2mm gap and grout mine in, then mask round tiles with frog tape and paint the ceiling back over the grout, nice crisp edge that way.

H

hmtiling

Caulk for me. Should be treated as an expansion joint. Silicone works but a bugger to paint over if ceiling requires redecoration

W

Waluigi

Caulk and paint.

A nice high quality caulk that doesn’t shrink back too much.

I use Den Braven. Best caulk I have used.

Silicone is the wrong product to use IMHO.

Reaction score
Caulk and paint.

A nice high quality caulk that doesn’t shrink back too much.

I use Den Braven. Best caulk I have used.

Silicone is the wrong product to use IMHO.
Interesting, I have never found a caulk that doesn't shrink badly, looking terrible months later, I avoid it like the plague now, not heard of that make though, might be worth another try, where do you get it?

W

Waluigi

What do you use instead?

I get it online- decorating direct. Or I buy the Geocel from Toolstation. All caulks shrinks though.

Reaction score
Depending on ceiling finish, last one was plastic planking as small room with poor shape for ventilation so silicone, but assuming plastered/painted, keep an even cut line and grout the gap.

Reply to What do you prefer at wall / ceiling abutment joint ? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock