Discuss What colour silicone where ? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Marksmithtiling

Has any one any rules/preferences on where colour silicon is used. For example do you use colour match to grout in corners and between tiles and shower tray? If so what do you use around shower screen and tray ? White ,clear colour?

I completed a shower today and used white around tray/screen(white tray) and colour in corners, and between tiles and tray ,customer asked why I used white between the chrome screen/tray, I personally prefer white looks better than a colour IMO,any views on this ????

P

Protilers

Personally I like to match grout colour.......but silicone should be applied to every vertical and horizontal joint that is not "in the field".......and grout should not be present in any of these joint's......
expansion and contraction is the main reason for tile failure!!!!!.......

T

Turkish tiler

Has any one any rules/preferences on where colour silicon is used. For example do you use colour match to grout in corners and between tiles and shower tray? If so what do you use around shower screen and tray ? White ,clear colour?

I completed a shower today and used white around tray/screen(white tray) and colour in corners, and between tiles and tray ,customer asked why I used white between the chrome screen/tray, I personally prefer white looks better than a colour IMO,any views on this ????

I do the same but make sure I asked customers opinion before I start siliconing, %95 time costomers says "what i do you think will look better"
sometimes colour grout silicone starting to look dirty after a while aganist white (tray, bath or sink)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Always ask the customer what they would like.

My preferences are as follows:-

Between bath/trays to tiles - white
Corner joints (tile to tile, walls and floors) - grout colour or closest colour of tile
Chrome shower channels/glass panels - clear
Pedestals and pans on floor - clear

R

Rookery

Corner joints (tile to tile, walls and floors) - grout colour or closest colour of tile

Me too. I think coloured silicone against white sanitary ware looks awful.

P

Perry

i wouldn't expect tilers to use white around gold or silver frames always used clear for the last 30 years

T

Time's Ran Out

We always go for white against a white suite.
Corners to match the colour of the tile.
Clear to any silver frameworks.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I've just finished a wetroom where there were two colours of wall grout. White and Silver Grey.

I always match silicone to grout. so it's as follows for me:

Sanitaryware, baths, trays etc. = White (unless the porcelain is coloured)
Chrome and Glass (screens and enclosures) = Always clear.
Corners, reveals and steps = Colour co-ordinated with wall grout colour.
To white ceilings, or paintwork (i.e archetrive, skirtings etc) = White
Floor edgings = Colour co-ordinated to floor grout colour (not wall colour)

F

Fliselege

I never ask the customer, I use same colour as what grout I use, and if floor is different colour grout, the I go round the floor in that colour. Biggest problem I get is plumbers calling me back to silicone their work as they think it's my job, the second word I say to them is "off". I silicone my tiling only, they should learn to do their own. Same with ceilings, if it's painted before I go in, I'll silicone it in white to match the paint, if the painter goes in after me, he can get busy with his painters mate akryl and leave me out of it.

M

Marksmithtiling

Thanks all ,thats the great thing about this forum always get an answer and good advice:thumbsup:.

Always learning !!!!

C

ColinW

which "colour" silicone is applied first, the white around the tray or the coloured in the corners to match the grout?

Reaction score

Reply to What colour silicone where ? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks