• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Wetroom pooling how to fix? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

S

Steve Wilson

My most recent DIY project has been to convert my en-suite into a wetroom. Been at it for months and now at the finishing stage. Turned on the shower for the 1st time and I have pooling in the centre of the floor.

I have obviously misjudged how large a shower tray footprint I require.

I have come to terms with the fact I’ll need to pull up the tiles and start again to include a fall.

My query is can I just build my fall or should I replace the shower tray?

6A078488-CD5C-43CB-ACD3-F18E711C8AD3.jpeg 6145DED9-380D-492A-B243-66DBB4CBDBB6.jpeg F0A730AD-F83A-42F1-98A5-3F116A8DE70D.jpeg 1ECC9284-42A7-460C-9DBF-12EA80D465C5.jpeg ED2574D4-27C2-4FE1-8411-8C3A1FD325D1.jpeg 77F14012-0E94-4187-A0A5-EF5EB523A67A.jpeg

OP
B

Blunt Tool

Hi Steve Welcome! Can I ask is the sub floor chipboard and did you board over it with aqua boards

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Have you set the tray into the floor and tiled onto it?

Doggit

TF
Reaction score
As it's pooling in the centre of the floor, this suggests it's outside of the tray, and may well just be down to the tiles not being level when you laid them. Put a level across the tiles, and check for any dips first.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Oh ok.

You really need to have lined your floor with backer board of some kind before tanking and tiling.

OP
S

Steve Wilson

As it's pooling in the centre of the floor, this suggests it's outside of the tray, and may well just be down to the tiles not being level when you laid them. Put a level across the tiles, and check for any dips first.
The problem is that outside of the shower try I have laid the tiles flat so water out side of the tray does not find it’s way the drain and pools in the middle. I need to redo the tiling to include a fall across the whole room.
I’m thinking that I’ll build the fall in with a build up of thin set mortar. 10-15mm over 1m should solve the problem.
How would you suggest doing this? Use spacer to set the height and fill in the rest?
Thanks

OP
S

Steve Wilson

Oh ok.

You really need to have lined your floor with backer board of some kind before tanking and tiling.
I thought that backer boards were only required to raise the floor to match the height of the shower tray? Or in the case where very thin chip board or ply wood was present (to increase strength).
Is it really a concern? The chip board was in good condition very flat and unbroken also the membrane 100% water proof covered the whole area.
I would hate to have done that wrong as I specifically choose the 22mm shower tray to match the chip board.
Appreciate your thoughts.

OP
B

Blunt Tool

You can’t/shouldn’t fix direct to chipboard flooring, but because you need to take it up anyway at least you can start again. Everything up then fix down hardiebacker boards or tile insulation boards fixed down with flexi adhesive and screws/washers. All chipboard floor covered then tank everything again. This will build up floor higher than tray and give you a basis to create a run to drain.

Reaction score
I agree with callatiler. Best to use the backer boards and tanking to build.up your fall than spacers and adhesive.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
[Distant sound of gunshot]......

Wet rooms are a steep learning curve, the first one you do is never ending deathslog but gets easier. I hate doing them though and talk people out of it if I can.

OP
P

Perfect Tiling

I know you wanted a wetroom but they can be a pain to live with if small as everything gets wet. It'll be easier and cheaper to replace the glass panel with a cubicle onto the tiles..... you'll then have a floor level walk in style shower.....surely that's better than ripping it up.

Boggs

TF
Supporter
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have a wetroom, complete pain with the kids as they keep running around the bathroom!

OP
S

Steve Wilson

I know you wanted a wetroom but they can be a pain to live with if small as everything gets wet. It'll be easier and cheaper to replace the glass panel with a cubicle onto the tiles..... you'll then have a floor level walk in style shower.....surely that's better than ripping it up.
I had thought of that and found a nice frameless door one on VP. But as you say I wanted a wetrooom and feel like I’ll be dissapointed / feel like I failed every time I look at it. I could be convinced tho...

OP
P

Perfect Tiling

You'll be convinced every time you dry yourself with a wet towel or wipe your *** with soggy loo roll and your fingers break through . I've got a tilet shower with wetroom styke tray and a semi frameless cubicle.....much better and the cubicle is a feature.

Reply to Wetroom pooling how to fix? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer