Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Retiling wetroom advice on how best to proceed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

My wetroom is going to be refurbished after my impey tray failed after 10 years. Wetroom is 2m x 3m.

Existing Wetroom:

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

fO1NPz

I have decided to remove the whole floor, but leave the walls where the sink and radiator is. However, the bottom row of tiles from these 2 walls will be removed and replaced so that the floor tanking can be suitably overlapped. Will also allow me to reposition the radiator pipes through the wall. Finally, I will remove the 2 walls inside the glass enclosure.

The floor will be strengthened with noggings and the joist will be overboarded with 18mm marine ply. Will this need priming before it is screwed to the joist? 2mm gaps will be left and joints staggered. On top of this, I will lay 20mm wedi board, with the joints and screws sealed with its waterproofing tape. This will enable me to have a flush finish with my wetroom former. Over this will go 900x600 porcelain floor tiles.

For the former, I will use the wedi fundo ligno board, the underside will be strengthened inc area around drain. The board will be placed ontop of the 18mm marine ply. I will also install a wedi bench at this time. the stud walls will be lined with 12.5mm wedi board with the joints sealed. previously aquapanel was used. on top of this 3m x 1m porcelain wall tiles will be layed.

All feedback will be appreciated...

Last edited:
Q

Qwerty

Can you elaborate on how the Impey former failed please and what tanking was originally used?

OP
Y

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on how the Impey former failed please and what tanking was originally used?

Sure,

When the shower is in use, small drops of water comes through the drain, I believe the previous tiler did not tank the inside of the drain flange before clamping. Then again not really failed, but not installed correctly.

W

Waluigi

10 years? Is that tanked with the tilesafe membrane then?

Are you absolutely sure that the drain isn’t leaking? The Impey traps are solvent weld or at least were back then.

OP
Y

YT233

TF
Reaction score
10 years? Is that tanked with the tilesafe membrane then?

Are you absolutely sure that the drain isn’t leaking? The Impey traps are solvent weld or at least were back then.

Yh the black sticky stuff was used, i have open the ceiling in the living room below. definitely not from where the trap connects to the drain. its leaking from the circle flange.

1E3A65D8-F524-47BC-A633-9B3D213B8CE6.jpeg

Q

Qwerty

You could very easily save yourself a load of grief and upheaval by fibreglassing around the underside of the former and onto the drain surround.

I know its a patch up job, but it works!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yeah I’m pretty sure I could fix that without touching a tile

OP
Y

YT233

TF
Reaction score
A tiler called did mention this. However, my wife is using this as an excuse to modernise the bathroom and she wants a glass door to enter the shower area.

In terms of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. could you guys recommend one? One https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to bond the wedi on to the ply and the floor tiles to the wedi. and one https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to bond the big wall tiles. Does the ply need priming?

OP
Y

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. Do I need to prime the surface of the ply I will be using to overboard my floor, before I stick the wedi board on?

I will be using Kerakoll No Limits, they advise I need to prime the ply?

Reply to Retiling wetroom advice on how best to proceed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock