Discuss Retiling wetroom advice on how best to proceed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

Probably one of the most ambitious diy projects we have seen on the forum in recent times. I'm sure we would all love to see all your progress pics allong the way. I hope it turns out as good as your wife is expecting!

YT233

TF
Reaction score
The pressure :fearscream:

I will try to keep you guys updated with a daily log project starts next Sunday. Hoping to do it all besides the electrics and plumbing.

Least I can do for all the help everyone has given.

I love doing DIY, although this time I may be over my head. Oh well it’s all a learning experience. All be it with some very expensive tiles ‍♂️

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Any updates?

Just continuing to do more reading and research watching videos etc..

Apparently have either prime the surface of the ply with keragip if using the normal bio gel or use the rapid set and not prime. Is it true I have to use a 12mm trowel to fit the wedi trey and boards to wall and floor??

The only bit of concer at the moment is how I will remove the current tiles and fitting the drain former..

YT233

TF
Reaction score
So I thought I would give you guys some background info and an overall view on the project.

This is the bathroom as it is:

wetroom floor.jpeg
Shower wall.jpeg
Radiator wall.jpeg
Toilet wall.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpg

As you guys will already be aware the leak is coming from the centre of the impey dec through the drain.

The plan is to remove the bottom row of tiles from the radiator wall and the back toilet wall and half the of wall toilet roll holder wall up to the shower glass. This will allow me to fully remove the floor and also adjust the radiator pipework so that it comes through the wall rather than the floor.

I will then strengthen the existing wooden floor with timber noggings overlay the whole floor with 25mm wbp ply, which I will glue and screw down every 100mm. I will then stick and screw down 20mm wedi board on the floor so that the floor is level with the fundo ligno former (1200 x 1450). The drain will set in a former provided by wedi so there is no undue movement.

The last row of tiles will then be reinstalled I have a couple of boxes spare. on the floor 900 x 600 tiles will be fitted, with matching mosaics on the former and the wedi seat. on the wall i will put on 4 sheets of the 3x1 tiles slabs with a rectangle alcove. I will keep the existing shower head but will replace the shower valve with a hans grohe shower select system. I will remove the existing kohler glass, and fit a bespoke frameless enclosure with a door!

I have 2 weeks before the missus has said she will chuck everything away as the house is a mess!!! Tick Tock!!

IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg

W

Waluigi

I’m glad you said Hansgrohe Shower Select and not Grohe Shower Smart.

You need a degree just to put the handles on to the shower smart. :D

I hope it goes well.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please don’t forget to post in progress photos, and good luck!

YT233

TF
Reaction score
So stage 1 done tonight, plumber removed toilet, radiator and isolated the hot water...

Onto removal of tiles tomorrow....

ACDD4BC7-0EB5-4A3E-8ECC-30063A583E02.jpeg
2B7BB101-4261-4AB1-840C-236F2C75C9D8.jpeg
C0B6B9AA-DF6A-494F-8972-C1E42D74719D.jpeg

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Any advise guys, I wish to build a mini dwarf wall at the end of my bench, which the shower glass will be cut so that it fits over the wall. Rather then the glass being flushed with the side of the bench.

What size shall I make this wall. The bench is 460mm in depth and about 550mm in height.

What size wall look the best?

YT233

TF
Reaction score
Also, I was wondering if instead of the 25mm wbp plywood i am planning to use to overboard the joist, can I use the Knauf Gifaboard either the 18mm or 25mm, will this be as strong as plywood and be suited for the purpose of removing any deflection and strengthening the floor?

Reply to Retiling wetroom advice on how best to proceed in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks