Discuss Wet Tiles, Which Tiles, What Problems - Ceramics in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

What are the issues with having a wet tile? If water is getting into the tile (Ceramics, ignoring faults) then it must go through the grout and I assume into the adhesive (is this right?).

So is the concern the bond between the adhesive and the wall? (in Plan Tec's post some tilers mention the number of failed installations they have fixed with wet tile backs) - what is failing ?
Does the tile degrade or the adhesive?
If the tile adhesive is bonded to a waterproof layer (some board or membrane) is there still a concern?
Is the extra weight the worry?
I get from the tests some tiles take on more water but why does this matter?
Does waterproof adhesive fix any of the issues? (why do we use waterproof adhesive ? )

I have ceramics on our shower floors should I be concerned ? I've read the worry is more with floors (rather than walls - so cant be weight) have I got that right?
Should I not use them again?
Some companies (CTD) say no to ceramics some companies list them for wet room floors (tile.co.uk - Brooke). All a tad confusing.

Ceramic - Tile water absorbtion experiment - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/tile-water-absorbtion-experiment.83567/

Porcelain or ceramic for wetroom? - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/porcelain-or-ceramic-for-wetroom.84288/#

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Julian 'Farmer' Bonsall

So using ceramics on the floor is okay on the shower floor? - that's the part I'm concerned about. I don't understand.

Reply to Wet Tiles, Which Tiles, What Problems - Ceramics in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks