Discuss Wet Room remedial Job!!!!!! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jimbobble

Where to start with this one?
Been asked to remedy an upstairs wet room which is leaking after 5 years install.
30 x 30cm porcelain floor tiles. One starting to rock on one axis.
The underfloor heating has been laid across the floor and up into the raised area for the shower. No grouting between the tiles around the drain (very small gaps but gaps none the less)
Is there a way to get a floor tile up without destroying the underfloor heating circuit?
Huge grout line where the floor meets the wall (20mm at least)
Really don't know what to say to the customer as there is no data left by the installers for the plan (assume it's been tanked) and cannot do anything unless I get the loose tile up and have a look which means no working wet room for the forseeable!
Any advice would be warmly appreciated however I suspect we're looking at a total rip out and start again which would be great for me but I really feel for this customer as they paid top whack for this job 5 years ago!
Annoyingly the walls are good but for some reason the setting out on the floors is pretty bad and they havn't mated up the floor to the wall tiles which looks bad imo and a little bit of extra work would have gone the extra mile in this case!
Anybody else seen great walls let down by a lazy floor? What baffles me is why the floor has been started with lazy tiling while the walls look **** on. Bit of a dilemma for the customer on this one so am probs looking at a whole refit.
Thanks,
J.

Q

Qwerty

Any remedial works conducted by you makes you responsible for any future issues. Full rip out or walk away is my advice

O

Old Mod

If you use a thermal imaging camera, you can sometimes pinpoint the leaking area, running shower cold would show up as a dark line.
And you could use it to make a plan of the UFH
Won't help you separate tile from floor without damage, but may give you a better chance of choosing an area to remove a tile.
If it has been latexed, then it's more likely you can remove a tile, if not, it'll be far more luck than judgement.
But as Geoff above says, you'll be taking a risk if you just try and repair it.
UFH can be repaired if you damage the cable.

58611DF7-3B14-4654-9AA4-27D1D0E31626.JPG 06660023-547B-473D-BE20-DD4F92085C6F.JPG E66D4F6F-3F16-4DA8-8C32-C50BED10E626.JPG D928E5C6-8E27-41A6-B50C-A84AA25224F6.JPG IMG_3162.JPG IMG_3172.JPG

Reply to Wet Room remedial Job!!!!!! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks