Discuss Wet room Ensuite tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Clapton712

Hello All,

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a few weeks before registering. Great knowledge available which I know will help me!

Im just about to start tiling my wet room ensuite. I think im ready to start the floor, but I have an adhesive question. I have cement boards on the floor on top of very solid supported chipboard. I don't really want to use a rapid set adhesive as I will be taking my time to ensure I get it right. The tiles are Vintage Hews from leekes, and have P1 stamped on the back.

Can anyone recommend a standard setting flexible tile adhesive for fixing porcelain tiles? Im also unsure what gap to leave at the wall transition, the wall will have a Metro style tile about 6m thick.

Im sure ill have plenty more questions! Thank for reading, pics below!

Ben
20170219_144052.jpg
20170518_192249.jpg

C

Clapton712

Oh and here is my 'tiling template' !!

It has changed slightly as both tiles on either side are now equal in size.

20170330_185241.jpg 20170330_185241.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Ben, first question would be, are these floor tiles? Just wanted to double check.

Prep looks good, its been tanked.

you can buy various makes of adhesive, id plump for a standard set S1 flexible.

C

Clapton712

Hi,

Yes they are floor tiles, advertised as and also in a display as floor tiles.

Also to add, there will be a glass screen fitted to the tiles on the left hand wall around 200mm from the edge of the tanked section.

Thanks

F

Flintstone

The boards on the floor are insulation boards not cement boards, did you put any adhesive under those or just screws?
With regards to the adhesive, as lee said, a standard set flexible adhesive, s1 rated, from a good tile shop and not b&q or wickes

C

Clapton712

Sorry I did mean insulation boards. They are glued and screwed as per the reccomendations. Yes tiles are porcelain with a Matt finish so I believe they do not need sealing?

MY local Screwfix only has Mapai Rapid setting adhesive which I'm not keen on using purely as I want to get this right first time. I work in precision engineering so I know this is going to be a nightmare for me to accept the variations in tiles!!

MY local DIY shed has Unibond ultra flexible, is this a decent make of adhesive or shall I look else where?

Cheers for all the replies

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't use the unibond, you want a reputable brand such as tilemaster, Mapei, ultra or granfix is ok. Where do you live, there must be somewhere local

C

Clapton712

I wouldn't use the unibond, you want a reputable brand such as tilemaster, Mapei, ultra or granfix is ok. Where do you live, there must be somewhere local

There are a few local but I'm aiming to pay the same price as my Local Screwfix for Mapei rapid set which is about £26 for 2 20kg bags. I love near place called Devizes.

Reply to Wet room Ensuite tiling in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks