Discuss Wedi Waterproof Sealing Tape and washers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What makes this so expensive? £37 for 10metres of 12.5mm tape which you then spread adhesive over. Can anyone tell me what it does and why it is so much more expensive than homelux tape which is 5 times wider. First time I've used Wedi and can't believe how expensive the 'extras' are.
Also when would you use the galvanised rather than stainless steel washers which are less than half the price?? Having just had to spend £100 more than expected on some tape and washers for a wetroom install I'm slightly curious
Thanks in advance for responses........... .

D

DHTiling

You can use any joint tape from Dural or schluter...they all do the same job..even the homelux one. Apart from the dural one is flexi in the middle of that tape...the washers are pricy though..i just used some on abathroom..15 pence each..

aflemi

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers Dave, wish i'd asked that last night before they sent the order........
Only risk is Wedi guarantee on install would be void but I'd be willing to take the risk. Any view on the differences between galvanised and stainless steel?
Domestic wetroom install, fairly light use , max twice per day?

D

DHTiling

Stainless are better for wetrooms...galvanised for everything else..i only use the stainless anyway... no rusting then..

D

dagger

to join boards you can use plasterers scrim tape and rapid adhesive...
providing your joins are accurate....
imo.

but i still buy wedi washers.....like gunniess "reassuringy expensive!"

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

to join boards you can use plasterers scrim tape and rapid adhesive...
providing your joins are accurate....
imo.

but i still buy wedi washers.....like gunniess "reassuringy expensive!"

Not in a wetroom you can't....lol..Oh!! and not with cement based adhesive , unless it is Alkaline resistant scrim tape.:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Stainless are better for wetrooms...galvanised for everything else..i only use the stainless anyway... no rusting then..

Nearly forgot...don't forget in wetrooms..you need a 50mm x 50mm peice of tanking tape over every washer....:thumbsup: in the immediate wet area's

D

dagger

Nearly forgot...don't forget in wetrooms..you need a 50mm x 50mm peice of tanking taper over every washer....:thumbsup: in the immediate wet area's
i always use 100mm wide fibreglass in wetrooms, and cover washers...

but if you are just boarding scrimtape will do...
was this a wetroom post?

okay, posted a bit tonite...anyway, in wetrooms, all washers, board joins etc, must be covered by adaquite tanking....we all have our methods.....

this is 1, a wedi one:

gal4img8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Plaster board with a tanking membrane system will do the same job without the add ons and extra ££££'s..............:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

thanks Dave...

i got it...a few bevvys in an trying to help....:ban:see above post! hehehe

thats coz you keep editing your posts long after a reply was made...:prrr:..

might alter your editing time frame to "0"....:lol:

Reply to Wedi Waterproof Sealing Tape and washers in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks