Discuss Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Billski

Hi all,

Has any one out there had any issues with using this Weber product over ply? Weber set trade S1 grey rapid.

I've never used it before as I always use their SPF rapid set, but noticed it for the first time in the tile shop and after speaking to the sales guy he talked me into giving it a go. "It is an S1 rated product", he said, " so is just as good as their SPF adhesive", he said...

The sub floor is very solid floor boards which are all screwed down, then over boarded with 18mm hard wood WBP ply ( I know it's not called that now but what ever the rating is now ), bought from my local builders merchants and I've been using the same stuff for years with no problems. All screwed down every 300mm with screws long enough to reach the floor joists, no movement, so the sub floor is as good as it can be. Tiled the floor in a couple of stages so some tiles have been down for 2 weeks and some for 2 days. Yet all the tiles are coming away from the ply, even the ones under the work top where the dishwasher will go. The tiles are only 300x300mm so nothing special, ceramic, all back buttered and fixed with a 12 mm trowel. The adhesive has fixed solid to the tile but nothing, and I mean nothing has fixed to the ply! Weber have suggested the ply has been coated in something or contaminated. Looks perfect to me. The ply is now a very dark colour from the contact with the adhesive.

I'm now waiting for Weber to hopefully send some one out to look at it as at first they wanted me to send them samples of the adhesive. I've used Weber for years with no problems to date so I'd hope they'd sort things as the tiles are now ruined.

Any one used it?

O

One Day

I've never used it on wood. I've used pallets of it on concrete/slc/ditra with no issues in the 18 months or so it's been available.
These 'trade' bags i think are misleading. When I've dug deeper they confess to reducing the polymer content to the bare minimum. That said, it's not polymer which would bond to wood, it's the cement isn't it?
If you've got good bond on the tile but nothing on wood, it's likely to be something up with the wood.

B

Billski

image.jpg

B

Billski

I've fixed them same tile to the same wood with a different manufactures adhesive and they've stuck perfectly, so it can't be the wood!

O

One Day

If you've any of the same batch left, test it again on different ply. Photograph everything inc' batch numbers and your invoices. Get evidence if you need to claim from Weber. More evidence the less chance you give them of claiming fixer error.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Has the adhesive stuck to the back of the tile well, and just not stuck to the wood, or a bit of both?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping some hadn't stuck to the tile suggesting adhesive mix failure at factory or something.

Whats the priming procedure with that stuff?

Edit: got ninja'd by Paul there lol I think we are thinking down the same path here.

B

Billski

No need to prime the tiled side of the ply, just prime under side and edges. The ply is bare.

T

Tile Shop

Got any pictures of the back of the tiles that lifted, with the adhesive on the back, and the bit of floor they came up from?

Edit... The higher the resolution the better :)

Reply to Weber Set Trade S1, real problems! in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks