• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Waterproof Pipe Collars when tanking floor? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

M

Mossop

When tanking a marine ply floor with a paint-on tanking product, should these type of waterproof pipe collars be used, or is the tanking enough? If used, would they go on before or after tanking product is applied?

Pipes would be going through the floor from bath, basin, radiator, toilet supply pipe.

It's not a wet room, just a bathroom.

Thanks.

PIPE COLLAR SEALS.jpg

OP
Q

Qwerty

Marine ply would be fitted on top of the timber joists, then tank the ply with a paint-on tanking product, then tile.

That is doomed to fail. Ply requires overboarding prior to tiling. The overboard can then be tanked prior to tiling

OP
M

Mossop

That is doomed to fail. Ply requires overboarding prior to tiling.
That's good to know and one reason why it's good to ask questions here.

I have spoken with a few bathroom installers on the phone, and had a couple out to give a quote. Not one had any issues with tanking the ply directly with a paint-on tanking product.

Overboard with 10mm delta board and forget the tanking. Easy peasy!

If it's at all possible it would be preferable if the board/sheet used on top of the ply was as thin as possible.

I think these products below may be suitable, though I'll have to discover how thick they are.

Homelux floor matting
https://victoriaplum.imgix.net/vp_p...4843-9e89-cb21ad7a20ac.jpg?w=1200&auto=format

Schlüter®-KERDI
Schlüter®-KERDI/KERDI-KEBA | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/kerdi-kerdi-keba.aspx

Schlüter®-DITRA 25
Schlüter®-DITRA 25 | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/ditra-25.aspx

Out of curiosity, why is it okay to directly wall plasterboard with paint-on tanking (with no additional board), but the ply floor cannot be successfully tanked directly? Is it simply because the floor can have water lying on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chalker

TF
Supporter
Arms
Reaction score
It's more that you tanking th floor and using it as a wet area. Is this just the floor outside the shower or inside?
Ply has too much movement and even though for years people have tiled on it successfully. There at better ways. Using insulation boards onto the ply creates a waterproof barrier, a degree of uncoupling and an increase in thermal insulation.
If your floor is good, 6mm board would do.

OP
M

Mossop

Is this just the floor outside the shower or inside?
It's the full floor within a bathroom. It contains a bath with an overbath shower, though there would be a glass bath screen to prevent most water from the shower going onto the floor.

OP
M

Mossop

The diagram shows the bathroom layout, with the new marine ply floor would covering the full bathroom. The blue circle is the over-bath shower and the blue line is the glass bath screen.

It would appear that Schluter Ditra 25 is just 3mm thick, so I might use that, unless anyone is aware of issues compared to the 6/10mm board referred to above.

Schlüter®-DITRA 25
Schlüter®-DITRA 25 | Function | Schlüter-Systems - http://www.schluter.co.uk/ditra-25.aspx

I wonder why no bathroom installer I have spoken with suggested there would potentially be any issues with applying a paint-on tanking product directly onto the marine ply floor?

bathroom plan2.jpg

OP
Q

Qwerty

I wonder why no bathroom installer I have spoken with suggested there would potentially be any issues with applying a paint-on tanking product directly onto the marine ply floor?

View attachment 95199

Because they do not fully understand correct fixing methods & materials. This lack of knowledge rings instant alarm bells that they are not suitable to be completing your project.

Why don't you advertise your job here on the forum

Reply to Waterproof Pipe Collars when tanking floor? in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer