Discuss Washers or Just Screws? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey, all Just wondering if you need washers for installing 6mm boards like Norcros pro board, Wedi, Mamrox, Kerdi etc (not hardiebacker) Onto a solid wall?
How would you install 6mm backer board to a solid wall?
I Just don't want to order washers for nothing.

434950-6mm.1528327071.png

Last edited:
F

Flintstone

You need washers for any mechanical fixings with those type of board. 6mm needs to be stuck with a solid bed of tile adhesive. Only really suitable for overboarding a skimmed wall or alike. Thicker boards can be dot and dabbed then fixings through the dots and the dabs!

Reaction score
You need washers for any mechanical fixings with those type of board. 6mm needs to be stuck with a solid bed of tile adhesive. Only really suitable for overboarding a skimmed wall or alike. Thicker boards can be dot and dabbed then fixings through the dots and the dabs!
Thanks. So apply with adhesive and then screw with washer. What about wall plugs too or no need. Also what size screws do you use? What size trowel to apply tile adhesive or can I use construction adhesive in a tube?
Sorry for all the questions but want to get it right.

T

Time's Ran Out

Always worth putting in a jam jar on the top shelf.
When screwing into a solid wall always need plugs.
8mm adhesive bed.
Screws long enough to get a good hold to substrate.

D

Dumbo

My favourite washers that I've used so far are the Jacko board ones .
Some washers I find are very flimsy

Reaction score
My favourite washers that I've used so far are the Jacko board ones .
Some washers I find are very flimsy
I ordered some of ebay, they look like ones you're talking about. No way was I paying £23.99 for 50 washers on the site I got the boards from. The boards where cheaper than the washers :tearsofjoy:

Reaction score

The store only just got back to me with this answer in regards to 6mm Norcros Insulation Board. I'm confused...

"We would recommend a 25mm screw without the need for a washer The best practice method of fixing these boards to a solid wall would be to use tile adhesive and screws"

I was going to use 6 x 60mm screws like you would use with 6mm Hardiebacker. Any thoughts?

F

Flintstone

I’ve never heard of norcross board so I don’t know about that. But it’s not a brand I’m fond of

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If Insulation board like marmox...then you definitely need washers, screws will just go straight through...

Reply to Washers or Just Screws? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks