Discuss Wanting a trimless finish with bullnose tiles but not possible due to cut edge in metro pattern? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mofonyx

Hi,

Our bathroom is being renovated. I wish not to have a trim and went with a range of premium tiles that offered a short rounded edge (bullnose) tiles (cut out page in catalogue here Imgur - https://imgur.com/gIEQwz2 ). We are using 6 x 3 inch tiles arranged in overlapping 'brick/metro pattern'. To avoid a trim, I planned on using a bull nose to the short edge of the finish.

Essentially, this means every alternate tile on the finishing edge has to be cut in half. In my mind, the rounded edge will always face out, with cut tiles alternating into the rest of the wall with the next tile like this Imgur - https://imgur.com/08vthOx

Our tiler has said that the cut edge cannot be facing inside against a finished tile edge as this would give an undesirable appearance. Partly because the cut edge would be sharp and the grout would not make the finish flush. He advised that the cut edge should face out and be finished with a trim which would be more desirable. Our tiles are flat, and not beveled so I thought this would not be a problem!

Please advise. Thank you!

B

Blunt Tool

Hi,

Our bathroom is being renovated. I wish not to have a trim and went with a range of premium tiles that offered a short rounded edge (bullnose) tiles (cut out page in catalogue here Imgur - https://imgur.com/gIEQwz2 ). We are using 6 x 3 inch tiles arranged in overlapping 'brick/metro pattern'. To avoid a trim, I planned on using a bull nose to the short edge of the finish.

Essentially, this means every alternate tile on the finishing edge has to be cut in half. In my mind, the rounded edge will always face out, with cut tiles alternating into the rest of the wall with the next tile like this Imgur - https://imgur.com/08vthOx

Our tiler has said that the cut edge cannot be facing inside against a finished tile edge as this would give an undesirable appearance. Partly because the cut edge would be sharp and the grout would not make the finish flush. He advised that the cut edge should face out and be finished with a trim which would be more desirable. Our tiles are flat, and not beveled so I thought this would not be a problem!

Please advise. Thank you!
If your tiles are not bevelled edge and just flat then your tiler should be able to rectify cut edge good enough to put in grout line with the use of polishing pads wether hand or machine ones or better still Sait fine grit discs

O

Old Mod

As above, reversing the cut to leave a finished edge outermost is common practice, it just takes a little effort on the fixers part to give the desired effect.

T

Time's Ran Out

Your tiler can show you how your choice of finish would look with the good edge out and cut edge in.
It should be ok but in my experience the cut edge will always be slightly thicker from the middle of a tile up against a finished edge.

M

mofonyx

Thank you all for replies. After a heated discussion with my bathroom fitter, we have agreed to align the tiles with the rounded edge outside. He has a wet saw and I advised him to finish the edge with rubbing stone to get a good finish. He is convinced this is unconventional and the finish would be undesirable.

Just as an aside, in the event that the finish is undesirable, would a decent tiler be able to come and re-tile the small section without too much disruption?

W

Waluigi

A lot depends on the tiles, how rounded the edge is and the colour of the biscuit.

The Tiler will have to leave the grout to set longer on those grout joints. No big deal really.

T

Time's Ran Out

No ‘decent’ tiler would want to come and finish someone else’s work!
But in any case I believe the advice your getting from your tiler now is correct and he’s just trying to advise you of the way it should be done.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How is the tiler going to make a factory made edge like that ?
When he cuts the tile you will see the biscuit, the whole edge will be the biscuit :confused2:

B

Blunt Tool

97ACA6D5-C698-48CE-B26D-564D6F669B05.jpeg
How is the tiler going to make a factory made edge like that ?
When he cuts the tile you will see the biscuit, the whole edge will be the biscuit :confused2:
This is the picture the OP supplied, no bevel, looks like white back not brown, and he has purchased the bullnosed tiles so wouldn’t be at all hard to do as customer asks

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Waluigi

I think that was just an example pic of the way the wanted the tiles cut.

The biscuit could still be brown.

For me it would still work. Tiler needs to make the judgement.

B

Blunt Tool

I think that was just an example pic of the way the wanted the tiles cut.

The biscuit could still be brown.

For me it would still work. Tiler needs to make the judgement.
Yes yes you know everything OP has, who am I to argue with such a knowledgeable plumber as yourself! Just read his first post!!

Reply to Wanting a trimless finish with bullnose tiles but not possible due to cut edge in metro pattern? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks