Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Tilers Insurance area for awesome prices on Van Insurance and Public Liability Insurance for Wall and Floor Tilers

Discuss Wanting a trimless finish with bullnose tiles but not possible due to cut edge in metro pattern? in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. mofonyx

mofonyx Active Member

Hi,

Our bathroom is being renovated. I wish not to have a trim and went with a range of premium tiles that offered a short rounded edge (bullnose) tiles (cut out page in catalogue here Imgur - https://imgur.com/gIEQwz2 ). We are using 6 x 3 inch tiles arranged in overlapping 'brick/metro pattern'. To avoid a trim, I planned on using a bull nose to the short edge of the finish.

Essentially, this means every alternate tile on the finishing edge has to be cut in half. In my mind, the rounded edge will always face out, with cut tiles alternating into the rest of the wall with the next tile like this Imgur - https://imgur.com/08vthOx

Our tiler has said that the cut edge cannot be facing inside against a finished tile edge as this would give an undesirable appearance. Partly because the cut edge would be sharp and the grout would not make the finish flush. He advised that the cut edge should face out and be finished with a trim which would be more desirable. Our tiles are flat, and not beveled so I thought this would not be a problem!

Please advise. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. callatiler

callatiler Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

If your tiles are not bevelled edge and just flat then your tiler should be able to rectify cut edge good enough to put in grout line with the use of polishing pads wether hand or machine ones or better still Sait fine grit discs

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 3_fall

3_fall Administrator. Staff Member Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

As above, reversing the cut to leave a finished edge outermost is common practice, it just takes a little effort on the fixers part to give the desired effect.

4. Albert

Albert Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler Top Contributor

Show your tiler the above pics and tell him that is what you want

5. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

Your tiler can show you how your choice of finish would look with the good edge out and cut edge in.
    It should be ok but in my experience the cut edge will always be slightly thicker from the middle of a tile up against a finished edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mofonyx

mofonyx Active Member

Thank you all for replies. After a heated discussion with my bathroom fitter, we have agreed to align the tiles with the rounded edge outside. He has a wet saw and I advised him to finish the edge with rubbing stone to get a good finish. He is convinced this is unconventional and the finish would be undesirable.

Just as an aside, in the event that the finish is undesirable, would a decent tiler be able to come and re-tile the small section without too much disruption?

7. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

A lot depends on the tiles, how rounded the edge is and the colour of the biscuit.

The Tiler will have to leave the grout to set longer on those grout joints. No big deal really.

8. mofonyx

mofonyx Active Member

Thank you all.

9. timeless john

timeless john Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler JOTM Winner Top Contributor

No ‘decent’ tiler would want to come and finish someone else’s work!
    But in any case I believe the advice your getting from your tiler now is correct and he’s just trying to advise you of the way it should be done.

10. widler

widler Professional Tiler

How is the tiler going to make a factory made edge like that ?
    When he cuts the tile you will see the biscuit, the whole edge will be the biscuit :confused2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. callatiler

97ACA6D5-C698-48CE-B26D-564D6F669B05.jpeg
    This is the picture the OP supplied, no bevel, looks like white back not brown, and he has purchased the bullnosed tiles so wouldn’t be at all hard to do as customer asks

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  12. Waluigi

Waluigi Professional Tiler Top Contributor

I think that was just an example pic of the way the wanted the tiles cut.

The biscuit could still be brown.

For me it would still work. Tiler needs to make the judgement.

13. callatiler

Yes yes you know everything OP has, who am I to argue with such a knowledgeable plumber as yourself! Just read his first post!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. widler

widler Professional Tiler

If they are already made its not a problem, if they aint thats where his problem is imo:thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. callatiler

Our bathroom is being renovated. I wish not to have a trim and went with a range of premium tiles that offered a short rounded edge (bullnose) tiles (cut out page in catalogue here Imgur - https://imgur.com/gIEQwz2 ).
    OPs quote

• Agree Agree x 1
Find a Tiler Post a Job Tile Events Tile Pics Blog Adhesive Poll Handy Downloads