Discuss Wall Grout - Hardness ? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

WhatNextNow

Hi there

I was wondering if someone could help.

I have a new build house which is approx. 5 years old. The WC walls have been finished with ceramic tiles.

The grout was poorly finished - I do not think that the joints were wiped down sufficiently as the grout was proud and all stuck all over the place.

With the aid of a small sharp flat screwdriver I was able to shave off the surface of the grout and create a sharp outline around the tiles.

Once I scraped through the surface of the wall grout I found that it was much softer underneath. It was set, but softer.

What I was wondering is that as the top layer of the grout was much harder would the soft layer now exposed harden up over time as it absorbs moisture from the air ?

Many thanks in advance.

W

WhatNextNow

Hi no it is just a straight forward WC and wash hand basin

Does my question about the top layer of the cured grout seeming much harder ?

I assume being wall grout that it is unsanded ? The joints are generally 3mm wide.

W

Waluigi

After 5 years, the grout should be fully cured. Unless of course someone has re grouted recently. If that’s the case then sometimes grout can take a number of weeks to fully cure.

W

WhatNextNow

So my description of the hard layer on the top with the softer layer below indicates that it never fully cured. Should the hardness be the same through the fully grout depth ?

No the tiles have not been re-grouted.

I take it that I have a problem :(

W

Waluigi

I’ve no idea without looking. Yes, grout should really be the same ‘hardness’ throughout the joint.

How soft is the grout?

I’m wondering if the grout wasn’t pushed into the joint properly.

W

WhatNextNow

Hi the grout is easily shaped using a wooden toothpick, however it is not crumbly or falling out.

O

One Day

New build house, 5yrs, soft grout...
Likely a combination of poor quality grout, mixed too wet, adhesive still wet, only the surface can cure fully, hence the weak body below.
If it's not bothering you, leave it.
If it's in a wet area and will cause problems, rake it all out and re-grout.

W

WhatNextNow

Hi many thanks - is there anything to be gained after all this time by misting the grout with water to try and get it to harden ?

Reply to Wall Grout - Hardness ? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks