Discuss Vynil floor to wall seal in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
I'm on with a wet room for a customer with MS. It's wheelchair acccesable. With a non slip vynil floor and nuance boards for the walls. The floor company want to do the usual upstand and then a plastic transition strip to join to the wall boards. I've done it like that a few times with tiles and wall panels, but we are trying to make it not look like a hospital ward!
The room has been tanked out, and I'm thinking about taking the wall boards right down to the floor, sealing this to the floor. Then letting the floor layer, cut tight to this and sealing with a colour match silicone.

Can anyone see a problem with this? Or another better way.
Cheers.

O

One Day

You could do what a professional wet room installation company did at my father in laws place of work recently in Preston - don't waterproof anything. Spot fix all wall tiles. Forget the plastic trim for the safety flooring and just apply the flooring over the bottom course of tiles.
Then get called back after one week because it's leaking into the rooms below. Spend 8 weeks trying to rectify the job using nothing more than approx 24 tubes of clear silicone.
Charge the nhs over 8k plus extra for each time called back...
Profit & repeat... :mad:

O

Old Mod

You could do what a professional wet room installation company did at my father in laws place of work recently in Preston - don't waterproof anything. Spot fix all wall tiles. Forget the plastic trim for the safety flooring and just apply the flooring over the bottom course of tiles.
Then get called back after one week because it's leaking into the rooms below. Spend 8 weeks trying to rectify the job using nothing more than approx 24 tubes of clear silicone.
I might ask em for a job! Haha

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I think I can see the problem here..... it's the 25th tube that generally does the job.

W

White Room

Sounds like were got the wrong ethics in work...

L

LM

Hi
I'm on with a wet room for a customer with MS. It's wheelchair acccesable. With a non slip vynil floor and nuance boards for the walls. The floor company want to do the usual upstand and then a plastic transition strip to join to the wall boards. I've done it like that a few times with tiles and wall panels, but we are trying to make it not look like a hospital ward!
The room has been tanked out, and I'm thinking about taking the wall boards right down to the floor, sealing this to the floor. Then letting the floor layer, cut tight to this and sealing with a colour match silicone.

Cheers.
If that's the road you want to go down then the best way to deal with this would be to have the floor fitted first then treat that perimeter the same way you would a bath with a shower over it. Tank down over the edge of the floor and tile as normal. It's the wrong way to do this as a whole, but the best chance of not having a leak!
I'd prefer to install the tile to vinyl trim, tank that out and tile, then let the floor layer fit his floor turning it up the walls and hot welding the internals.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If that's the road you want to go down then the best way to deal with this would be to have the floor fitted first then treat that perimeter the same way you would a bath with a shower over it. Tank down over the edge of the floor and tile as normal. It's the wrong way to do this as a whole, but the best chance of not having a leak!
I'd prefer to install the tile to vinyl trim, tank that out and tile, then let the floor layer fit his floor turning it up the walls and hot welding the internals.
Isn't he fitting wall panels not tiles? I'd perhaps be inclined to have the floor laid returning up the walls then panel down to it and fix a plastic skirt to hide the transition.

L

LM

Isn't he fitting wall panels not tiles? I'd perhaps be inclined to have the floor laid returning up the walls then panel down to it and fix a plastic skirt to hide the transition.
It's the same problem to deal with Rich. The transition between the vinyl and tile/wall board has the same vulnerability. Wall boards still need to be tanked behind.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Vinyl runs up a rubber cover former which would kick the panel out at the bottom if you tried to take it down to the floor

L

LM

A vinyl 'stick on' skirt is no protection whatsoever in a shower area and should never be used as such. A 'sit in' skirt however is a different matter if fitted correctly

D

Dumbo

Hi

Cheers.

D

Dumbo

One problem if you did get a small leak at wall to floor joint and Im not sure if we are talking about same thing the wet wall panels could fail as it would absorb water

Reply to Vynil floor to wall seal in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks