• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Using SLC to bring existing floor height to the height of extension floor. in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Hi All.
Im a tiler based in Cheltenham and new to the forum.
Im tiling about 86m2 of planks next week and need to level the floor before hand(long weekend job). The problem that I have is that in the existing part of the house, the floor is about 20/25mm lower than the extension concrete floor. I'm using leveller to bring the whole downstairs to the same height. Does anyone have any idea on how the accuratley bring the existing floor height up to the extension floor height to make it flat accurately? Iv'e attached a picture of the floor plan. The blue areas are the extension parts of the floor and the yellow, the exisisting.
Thanks in advance,
Alex.

floor plan Winryde.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Find the highest point of the new concrete floor and measure 1m up from there and mark a datum on the walls around the the new areas.
Then using a laser or water level, transfer that datum around the whole ground floor.
You can then use that datum in the other rooms to bring them up to 1m below your datum.

OP
AP tiler
Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the response.
Ahh good idea, I guess then do several pours and check the height against the datum each time the pour has dried?
Cheers.

O

Old Mod

Hi, Thanks for the response.
Ahh good idea, I guess then do several pours and check the height against the datum each time the pour has dried?
Cheers.
Exactly that.
You can measure off your datum and put markers on the floor so you know how high to come approx.
Stick joiner packers on floor with a glue gun or silicone to give you a gauge to go to.

O

Old Mod

I thought retro fit mats meant after the solid floor was in?
The way I interrupt the situation is that the original house is 25mm lower because there’s ufh in the new screed and a retro fit system will be fitted to the existing and then levelled over to bring it up to one level.
Personally I’ll always level over any polypipe style ufh anyway, so I suppose that’s how I’d want to interrupt it.

D

Dumbo

Probably a good idea to get flor level first but not built right up ufh so ufh boards dont rock . Fit ufh then bring up to level of rest of house with levelling comp.

OP
AP tiler
Reaction score
They are pro fix panels Ultra Low Profile Underfloor Heating Panels - Floor Insulation Panels - http://www.profixpanel.co.uk/profix-panel.php.
supplied and fitted by Underfloor Heating from Underfloor Heating Systems Ltd - https://www.underfloorheatingsystems.co.uk.
They have advised the builder i'm working for to self level directly ontop of the panels/mats. They've gone ontop of the existing part of the house floor. in the extension part of the house the UFH is just a standard wet system under the screed.

Reply to Using SLC to bring existing floor height to the height of extension floor. in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer