Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Using RIW Tilesafe to repair Homelux floor matting - repair patch in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Australia

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've lifted two cracked tiles from our wetroom floor and damaged the waterproof membrane in the process roughly - an area of 30 x 20cm. Looks like it's a Homelux product and the damaged part is right next to the waste on the former tray.

Any advice on how best to repair this making watertight again? I don't really want to spend £50 on a roll of Homelux floor matting. I have a piece of RIW Tilesafe (the bitumen stuff) and tape. Will this work and how best do I going about doing it? I know it's not recommended seeing as they are two completely different products but ... I am at a loss!

photo_2018-09-18_11-48-16.jpg
photo_2018-09-18_11-48-16.jpg
photo_2018-09-18_11-48-23.jpg
photo_2018-09-18_11-48-52.jpg

W

Waluigi

Hmm, difficult to say really. The issue I believe Homelux had with their matting is that they recommended a standard cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ for the joints which aren’t waterproof. I found this was a weak spot in the system.

You would think that a paint on system would probably work fine.

It does indeed look like the Homelux floor matting and perhaps one of the Topps trays which I thing are made by Impey but are hollow instead of resin.

O

One Day

Why had the tiles cracked in the first instance?
I have years of experience seeing failed wet room installations and I can guarantee you that a patch repair is not going to sort out the CAUSE of the problem.
(Sorry to come across as a pessimist)

OP
L

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Tiles cracked because we have an obscenely heavy showerhead that has slipped from the seating on the handlebar and dropped on the tiled floor. No problems with water ingress otherwise. We've had the installation for nigh ten years.

OP
L

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Just to add, we've had no leaks that we can see since cracking the tiles. It's been left like that for around a year but it was super cracked and unsightly. I just decided to spring into action and finally get round to replacing those tiles and was too much of a brute when lifting the tiles up!

OP
L

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Should I go ahead and patch with the tilesafe membrane or homelux or is it better with the paint on system like the tilemaster? Sorry for the stupid question but does the paint on system work on the former trays?

I'd prefer to stick with the tilesafe seeing as I already have it but obviously won't use it if it means compromising the waterproofing.

Newbie here, clearly, shaking in her boots.

T

Time's Ran Out

Although I was impressed with the Bitumen Impey tilesafe - never had any issues with it - I don’t think they recommended using it with silicone and you’ll need something around that outlet!

W

Waluigi

Is that a typo Timeless John?

You were impressed with Tilesafe?

Leee-na, I’d probably use Tilemaster tanking in this instance. Paint, tape and then more paint x 2

W

Waluigi

I thought it was bad compared to Schlüter Kerdi. This was 15 + years ago. I’m not sure how far back Tilesafe Goes before that. Weather conditions whilst using the system cost me a lot of money using Tilesafe.

The Impey Aquadec was brilliant though. A proper solid Wet Dec.

OP
L

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

Timeless John,
I can't get hold of the Tilesafe jointing compound (in lieu of silicone sealant) for the waste so I guess that is not an option anymore. Unless there is another jointing compound I can substitute with?

Waluigi,
Would love to use the Tilemaster but it costs £50 for the materials, which seems excessive for a small patch. Same as buying in the Homelux matting - £50.

The question is the integrity of the joints between the old Homelux fabric+thinset layer and the new membrane or any paint on system. I don't have a lot of the old membrane to tape to, roughly 1cm and less, on one of the jointing edges (see first photo top side).

Enough overlap with the tape or lift up one more tile?

Also, I can get my hands on some Impey Waterguard membrane, tape and jointing compound. Will this do the trick?

W

Waluigi

I don’t like the idea of using Tilesafe membrane personally, whether you get the sealant or not.

£50 materials to repair the tanking on a wet room, I wouldn’t consider to be excessive.

I think the physical membranes option is out of the question. That’s the fault with these membranes, you are relying on a non waterproof tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to provide the seal, usually by a large overlap. 1cm is not enough. (I’m talking about Homelux)

I’d say that paint on is your only option really.

Isn’t Tilesafe membrane too thick? Just taken a second look at your pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
H

hmtiling

Thanks for the input.

Timeless John,
I can't get hold of the Tilesafe jointing compound (in lieu of silicone sealant) for the waste so I guess that is not an option anymore. Unless there is another jointing compound I can substitute with?

Waluigi,
Would love to use the Tilemaster but it costs £50 for the materials, which seems excessive for a small patch. Same as buying in the Homelux matting - £50.

The question is the integrity of the joints between the old Homelux fabric+thinset layer and the new membrane or any paint on system. I don't have a lot of the old membrane to tape to, roughly 1cm and less, on one of the jointing edges (see first photo top side).

Enough overlap with the tape or lift up one more tile?

Also, I can get my hands on some Impey Waterguard membrane, tape and jointing compound. Will this do the trick?
Tilesafe jointing compound is just semi setting butyl sealant.

Reply to Using RIW Tilesafe to repair Homelux floor matting - repair patch in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock