Discuss Using RIW Tilesafe to repair Homelux floor matting - repair patch in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

leee-na

TF
Reaction score

Thanks hmtiling, good to know.

I don’t like the idea of using Tilesafe membrane personally, whether you get the sealant or not.

£50 materials to repair the tanking on a wet room, I wouldn’t consider to be excessive.

I think the physical membranes option is out of the question. That’s the fault with these membranes, you are relying on a non waterproof tile adhesive to provide the seal, usually by a large overlap. 1cm is not enough. (I’m talking about Homelux)

I’d say that paint on is your only option really.

Isn’t Tilesafe membrane too thick? Just taken a second look at your pictures

Agreed on the Homelux. That's struck out.

Yeah, I'm thinking jointing areas Tilesafe tape plus membrane patch maybe too thick - it's tight.

BTW any reason why you don't like the Tilesafe for this case use? If I tape with the correct overlap, what can go wrong with it?

Just noticed that I've cut away a join section of 1cm with no membrane to tape to. Can I still paint over as is with the Tilemaster?
photo_2018-09-19_14-01-20.jpg

Last edited:
W

Waluigi

I just think it’s safer to use a paint on membrane.

Tilesafe might be OK for a new install. (I don’t like the product full stop TBH) but in this case I don’t think it’s right.

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Ok, I've spoken to Tilemaster and they don't recommend their paint on system for the former tray because it won't stick (our former tray is either plastic or resin). They recommend using a membrane.

And it looks like I'm going to have to lift another tile to access more membrane and tape the seam properly.

So I am back to the Tilesafe or Waterguard. I've got very little play for bedding the tiles. Any consensus on which is better in this scenario? Which membrane is thinner?

W

Waluigi

Oh that’s a shame. I’ve only ever used the paint on gear on standard substrates.

I’m not familiar with Waterguard. Is it applied with tile adhesive?

I know what does stick to plastic- Schlüter Kerdi with Kerdi Fix. Did this a couple of times when waterproofing.

Unfortunately I can’t advise much further on tikesafe, or Waterguard.

It seems a shame to have to take more tiles up. You would think there is a paint on system that is suitable.

H

hmtiling

Wa
Ok, I've spoken to Tilemaster and they don't recommend their paint on system for the former tray because it won't stick (our former tray is either plastic or resin). They recommend using a membrane.

And it looks like I'm going to have to lift another tile to access more membrane and tape the seam properly.

So I am back to the Tilesafe or Waterguard. I've got very little play for bedding the tiles. Any consensus on which is better in this scenario? Which membrane is thinner?
Waterguard is thinner and more user friendly

H

hmtiling

Oh that’s a shame. I’ve only ever used the paint on gear on standard substrates.

I’m not familiar with Waterguard. Is it applied with tile adhesive?

I know what does stick to plastic- Schlüter Kerdi with Kerdi Fix. Did this a couple of times when waterproofing.

Unfortunately I can’t advise much further on tikesafe, or Waterguard.

It seems a shame to have to take more tiles up. You would think there is a paint on system that is suitable.[/QUOTE
Waterguard is self adhesive like tilesafe and a great product.

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Update: I have lifted another tile and the Homelux membrane is so brittle that the waterproof backing (black stuff) is disintegrating on touch and separating from the fabric fleece top. The whole thing is not stuck to the tray. This stuff is horrible.

I'm going to trouble shoot with some 100mm wide double-sided butyl jointing tape (not Impey tape but ok to use?). Clean out as much of this adhesive membrane from under the fabric and stick the fleece top back down to the tray on the underside then cover topside with Waterguard patch - if you get what I mean.

Doe that make sense? Or better to tape down the old membrane topside and patch over with the Waterguard?

I am beginning to regret even touching those cracked tiles now.

Last edited:
W

Waluigi

This is getting a bit worrying. What was the Homelux stuck down with? The actual membrane is brittle?

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Im guessing the contractor used thinset to stick the Homelux to the tray. There's the fabric fleece layer then the black layer, which I guess is the waterproof membrane on the back of the Homelux, and then some white dust that's the adhesive. I think you can see this in the pics.

I mean it's an old installation - nine or ten years - so maybe that's why the membrane is flaking off the tray? But yeah, it's totally brittle. I can actually prise up the membrane with my fingernail and see under to the tray. :(

W

Waluigi

That sounds like a design fault.

Homelux is based on Schlüter Kerdi who were the innovators. I know that Kerdi is a Polyethylene with fleece on. I assumed Homelux was a similar tech.

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Hmmm, I did notice that the adhesive/membrane was slightly damp in places when I first dismantled. Not the fleece fabric but the black polythelene type stuff. Could water ingress be weakening the bond and making it brittle?

On reflection, it was definitely a mistake to leave those cracked tiles like that for so long.

leee-na

TF
Reaction score
Hi all, my saga continues ...

Rang up Homelux Technical who were most unhelpful. The "technical" guy on the phone couldn't even tell me the composition of the floor matting nor could he find documentation on it, nor could he advise on fixing said problem. After sending some pics, got a follow-up defacto email from their customer care, which basically said there is no fault with the Homelux membrane and all is as it ought to be. Recommendation is to pull up the entire installation and start from scratch.

Anyway, for the sake of completeness, this is what I did:

Wipe clean the former and cut away the brittle polyethylene from under the fleece fabric (had to cut notches in the fabric to get under there). Slide the double-sided butyl tape under fabric membrane, fold the fleece fabric back down. Cover entire area with Waterguard. Apply butyl rubber sealant along perimeter edges of Waterguard, including the dropdown into the waste area.

The butyl rubber sealant says not to use on plastic - but I have used it in the waste drop down area. Should I worry?

Any other thoughts on my process?

Now all I got to do is tile. I've taken off as much adhesive as possible without touching the underfloor heating. Should I prime the old adhesive in the other areas before I tile or can I just go ahead and tile on top?

Who would have thought this would take so blooming long :confused:

photo_2018-10-01_14-29-01.jpg photo_2018-10-01_14-48-08.jpg photo_2018-10-01_14-28-56.jpg photo_2018-10-01_14-28-41.jpg photo_2018-10-01_14-28-31.jpg photo_2018-10-01_14-28-35.jpg

Reply to Using RIW Tilesafe to repair Homelux floor matting - repair patch in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks