Discuss Use silicone instead of grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Max_Antax

Dear all,

I have corner shower which is leaking, I believe, because of faulty grouting.

One of the walls has some movement and this results in the grout failing at regular intervals: I have re-grouted two times now and the problem stops temporarily, only to for it to come back after 3 / months.

As I'm planning to undertake major refurbishment soon I'm looking for a quick fix and was wondering: can I use silicone instead of grout to fill the tile joints?

I'm planning to rake out the grout, mask the tiles and fill the joints with silicone. I would say that it should be sufficient to do this up to 1m from the tray. I'm planning to use low modulus exterior grade silicone of the type used to fill expansion joints.

Is this idea any good? Any specific product in mind? Can you think of suitable alternatives?

Many thanks for your help,

Max

Reaction score
Hi, a good quality silicone sealant should be used in shower corners where two walls meet anyhow. I would say, fix the source of the problem first. As a quick fix, silicone it well.

Reply to Use silicone instead of grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks