Discuss Unhappy with finish of beveled metro tiles and tile trim around window - are we being unreasonable? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AmandaWilliamson

Our kitchen fitter has done a lovely job overall but we are disappointed with the finish around the windows which we feel lets the other good work down.

I have attached pics and we have contacted him to say that we aren’t happy with the finish around the windows with the wedge of grout along the window sill and the unevenness of the tiles/trim and asking what we could do to resolve it. He did the work yesterday while we were at work so we didn't see him face to face to discuss it. He seems to have taken great offence and is walking away from finishing the kitchen work (there’s still a few bits to do) offering us a discount. He got rather weird the last couple of days in general and he seems quite disorganised and stressed. Communication hasn’t been great and so we think he might have been pissed off with elements of the work (or maybe life in general) but we aren’t sure why.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinion on whether this is deemed acceptable? We haven’t been in this sort of situation before as everyone we have dealt with in the past has been highly professional. Genuinely don't want to be unfair and we have been very complimentary about the other work and feel that we have been very flexible, cooperative and friendly.

8BDC3877-E0F5-409F-A13B-23F6C04F37BD.jpeg 9865BD7A-2573-4E8E-96CA-F6BCB68E99A2.jpeg 503344A3-4298-4377-9178-F8539FCC713C.jpeg B949F39D-5659-4BA5-90C1-B86F79C3F4F5.jpeg

A

AmandaWilliamson

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. To be fair we chose the ivory grout as it goes with the ivory cabinets. The rest of it looks lovely. The whole kitchen looks great...except for the windows...

Mario

TF
Reaction score
Our kitchen fitter has done a lovely job overall but we are disappointed with the finish around the windows which we feel lets the other good work down.

I have attached pics and we have contacted him to say that we aren’t happy with the finish around the windows with the wedge of grout along the window sill and the unevenness of the tiles/trim and asking what we could do to resolve it. He did the work yesterday while we were at work so we didn't see him face to face to discuss it. He seems to have taken great offence and is walking away from finishing the kitchen work (there’s still a few bits to do) offering us a discount. He got rather weird the last couple of days in general and he seems quite disorganised and stressed. Communication hasn’t been great and so we think he might have been pissed off with elements of the work (or maybe life in general) but we aren’t sure why.

Just wondered if anyone had any opinion on whether this is deemed acceptable? We haven’t been in this sort of situation before as everyone we have dealt with in the past has been highly professional. Genuinely don't want to be unfair and we have been very complimentary about the other work and feel that we have been very flexible, cooperative and friendly.

View attachment 97020 View attachment 97021 View attachment 97022 View attachment 97023
OMG that trim mitre!!!

Mario

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. To be fair we chose the ivory grout as it goes with the ivory cabinets. The rest of it looks lovely. The whole kitchen looks great...except for the windows...
Yes because thats were you pay your price for a profesional good tiler!at the cuts and winows,doors,arches etc.

F

Flintstone

It’s not the worst we have seen on here by a very long way, but it’s not great. It’s probably would I would expect to see from Some one who fits kitchens and does tiling. You say he’s stressed up and doesn’t want to come back, has the rest of the job gone smoothly ?

T

Time's Ran Out

Don’t pay anymore till your happy and take double what discount he offers - cause you’ll have to pay someone else to finish his work - and that will cost more than he thinks.
His problems shouldn’t be your problems.

A

AmandaWilliamson

Thanks Guys. Really appreciate the input. My husband has tried to call him and resolve amicably but he won't returned the call. Think we'll take the discount and get someone else to tidy up...

A

AmandaWilliamson

It’s not the worst we have seen on here by a very long way, but it’s not great. It’s probably would I would expect to see from Some one who fits kitchens and does tiling. You say he’s stressed up and doesn’t want to come back, has the rest of the job gone smoothly ?
The job has been quick and smooth-ish. The kitchen suppliers needed chasing up on some items which was understandably annoying for him. The rest of the work looks great tbh. Communication hasn't been great and he got huffy when the tiles were later than he wanted them, yet we ordered them as soon as we knew the measurements and at the time he didn't tell us when he'd need them by. They started the work last Saturday (excl Sunday) and were ready to start tiling on Weds which we didn't know until Tuesday when it was too late to speed up the delivery. Think that peed him off.

T

Time's Ran Out

Your the customer!
Just make sure you get all the altered electrics certified.
Get a tax receipt for what you’ve paid and enough for a days labour for someone to complete.
If you still owe him any keep it all till he replies.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Why don't crossover trades people just say - you know what I don't think I can do that you had better get a tiler/carpenter.plumber - what ever but instead try and take it on themselves - with the results shown which then lets down his otherwise good job on the actual kitchen fit.
No excuse but maybe he had never came across metro tiles before, having looked at his mess I as a DIYer wont be trying to use them any time soon or ever, I can see he has tried to do something with the bevel on the trim to match the tile but it doesn't work. Most trades I have come across start to spit their dummies out if the job takes 2 mins longer than they thought - maybe this is the case here..

A

AmandaWilliamson

The kitchen over all is great but I agree with the comments about crossover traders. The builder did get an electrician and gas engineer to do those bits and I think would have benefitted from doing the same with a tiler. That said, very happy with the tiling everywhere else other than around the two windows.

827ACD32-835B-4B34-BEE2-41CDC094D4B9.jpeg

Reply to Unhappy with finish of beveled metro tiles and tile trim around window - are we being unreasonable? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks