Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Uneven wall next step in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

Ademii21

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All

Please can you help? I am in the process of getting a new toilet done.

Attached is the state of the wall after the previous tiles have been removed.

Please what should be done to get a smooth professional tile work done.

Thanks

8443B583-EA74-4D15-A33C-AA9F58ACC467.jpeg E7D869C5-8FFB-4747-A028-7AD829FB165A.jpeg

OP
W

WetSaw

How much room is there around the window? It looks like the wall has had PVA applied, is that correct? What size tiles are you using?

OP
A

Ademii21

Thanks for responding. It’s a tiny ledge window. Size of tile is 50x25.

I’m more particular about the state of the wall and how the tiles will fit

Cheers

OP
W

WetSaw

I asked about the window as the easiest option is to overboard the wall but if you don't have the space around the window you'll need to look at other options.
50 x 25 cm? Do you know the weight of the tiles per m2?

OP
A

Ademii21

It’s really not the window I am after. I am asking about the wall. What do I do to the whole wall on the left?

Thanks

OP
W

WetSaw

Does the wall not go to the window? So if you board over what is there you will cover part of the window that is what I'm trying to get to. Having said that it, looking at the picture again I'd probably take it back to the block work and board straight to that.

OP
F

Flintstone

Chop it all off and dot and dab plasterboard on. Move the light switch to a suitable place

OP
B

Bill

If it is a cloakroom type toilet then the light switch can stay.

If the tiles are ceramic, then you could skim over this plaster with finish plaster.

If the tiles are porcelain, I would hack off the plaster and dot and dab plasterboard on to the wall. No need to plaster skim the plasterboard that needs tile.

OP
A

Ademii21

Thanks everyone.

Dot and dab? Ok will ask the plasterer

I have much the same type of wall elsewhere and I really need a second opinion

At 1st the installer mentioned bonding and then bonding and skimming. The plasterer then says plastering is better then goes on to say he wil do bonding and cement. It’s really getting confusing as I don’t know which is which and which is better.

This is for a bathroom with shower with big tiles 60x60 on the walls. Also the shower accessories is going to be embedded.

Pls help. What’s the best to use to get the best wall for tile all I described up there?

Thank you very much

Attached is the state of these walls

2A23937F-4082-4509-9F13-51BBB0276945.jpeg 3BFD40AF-6405-4C32-B0B4-80DBBB3B2843.jpeg 6CF7AC53-EC10-4A73-AC13-7122A1E949F0.jpeg E7220932-0042-41CE-A44A-2EF9B4329842.jpeg 8F4663FD-0053-4919-BC5F-0EEA94B8BCFB.jpeg DB25C1A4-ECDA-4275-B852-902B59F8765D.jpeg

jobdone

TF
Reaction score
Best job all round for the tiles mentioned would be to take every thing out strip of all the render and dry line. Nice flat surfaces and all able to take the weight of the tile.
Skimming over what you have there will leave you with a new smooth wall that won't be flat or able to support the weight of the tile.

Reply to Uneven wall next step in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock