Discuss Uneven Large Format Tiles in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Uberbeck

Hi,

I am new to tiling and would like some advise on how to keep large format tiles flat and even on the wall. I am currently installing large format porcelain tiles to a bathroom wall that bows out in the middle and dips back in one of the corners (makes the tiles bumpy). It is an old house and nothing in it is straight.

I have tried levelling clips but this sometimes pulls the corners of the tiles off the wall.

Does anyone have any advise or tips on how to keep my tiles relatively flat?

G

GoneGuy

Hello and welcome to the forum.
If it wae I would have overboarded the wall with a water proof/resistant board to make it flat.

U

Uberbeck

Hi,

I am fresh out of the UK pro tiling course and this is my fifth job, the rest have been floors. The tiles are 600x300 and I have a couple more bathrooms to do with the same size tiles.

O

One Day

They're very much normal size nowadays! Simple answer to your question is the substrate needs to be flat to begin with.
The only two alternatives are building out with loads of adhesive, or having really uneven tiling.

U

Uberbeck

Yeah, have done plenty of building out and used a ton of adhesive, found it quite time consuming.

U

Uberbeck

Thanks for the replies, if I overboard should I be using backer board? That applied like plaster board?

G

GoneGuy

That’s personal choice as some like to use moisture resistant and tank in wet areas ( around baths and showers ) and others like to use tile backer boards and also tank etc.
It depends on cost as well

F

Flintstone

Your quickly learning that building out is a pain, it’s difficult and takes a long time, and it’s not best practice. Get the prep right and the tiling will be much easier. Either over board the wall, or skim out the low areas with rapidset

Reply to Uneven Large Format Tiles in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks